The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can Goose, Duck, Chicken and Turkey be treated the same way? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145792)

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 09:31 AM

Can Goose, Duck, Chicken and Turkey be treated the same way?

So I'll get to smoke my first whole poultry this weekend, but I don't know what my wife is going to pick up tomorrow, it depends what's available and what's on offer.

The plan is to brine and spatchcock the bird, then smoke it in my WSM @ 350F.

So do the four types of poultry require different procedures, or can they be treated equally?

chad 10-11-2012 09:39 AM

From a safety aspect, yes.
But, Goose and Duck are much fatter, generally, than chicken and turkey is, generally, leaner.
If you like duck skin then a goal is to release most of the fat to allow the skin to crisp up.
Sounds like fun, no matter what the spousal unit buys!
Good luck.

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad (Post 2240602)
If you like duck skin then a goal is to release most of the fat to allow the skin to crisp up

How would I do that?

MisterChrister 10-11-2012 09:44 AM

Duck would be one heck of a way to season your cooker! You'll be greased up for a LONG time!!

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterChrister (Post 2240611)
Duck would be one heck of a way to season your cooker! You'll be greased up for a LONG time!!

So are duck and goose generally a bad idea to smoke? I know these two are much fattier, but will it really cause such a huge mess? I don't care if it fills up the foiled clay saucer in the foiled water pan of my WSM, so it shouldn't be something to consider a problem, or should it?

Mdboatbum 10-11-2012 10:28 AM

Turkey and chicken:
Spatch, brine, dry on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, smoke.

Duck and goose:
Spatch, brine, score skin, steam for 45 minutes, dry on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, smoke.

The drying phase will help the skin crisp in both cases. The scoring and steaming for the duck and goose will render a lot of the fat.

This is not your pork! 10-11-2012 10:32 AM

Good point, never heard of scoring duck or goose skin + steaming before. Any pr0n that shows a scored duck or goose?

MisterChrister 10-11-2012 11:11 AM

I've only done whole duck in an oven. I scored the skin which did help render the fat and left a crispy skin, but my oven was still a mess. I guess I was supposed to put some sliced bread in the bottom of the baking dish under the wire rack that the duck was on. The fat spattered on the hot baking dish and splattered all over the oven! Maybe it was just beginner's (bad) luck!

Stoke&Smoke 10-11-2012 11:18 AM

Duck is significantly different than the rest. It's all dark meat, and if you cook it to 165 or above, as with the other poultry's, you'll have wasted your $$. And if you save the duck fat, cook up some potatoes in it! It's an excellent cooking oil

Yellowhair42 10-11-2012 11:21 AM

I smoked a duck and it was very good and not greasy at all.I just put it in,no steaming or scoring.Was the best bird creature I ever had.

chomper's bbq 10-11-2012 12:04 PM

One idea is to buy a turkduckhen and follow the directions. I agree the duck and goose are hard to keep flavorful when smoking. I like to take duck breasts, pound them out and make pinwheels. Duck wrapped around portabellas, cheese, jalapenos and onion. you cook them over direct heat (grilling).

landarc 10-11-2012 12:50 PM

I don't brine duck, it doesn't benefit from the brine, as it is very moist and fatty. I like to steam the bird briefly, then roast at a high heat. Does better at the high heat, than at a lower smoking heat. I don't spatchcock it either. I prefer to stuff an onion and sliced lemon into the body cavity. Or, I will put some spices into the void and sew it up.

jestridge 10-11-2012 02:03 PM

I have two young Muscovy duckling , they don;t suppose to be a greasy as the Peking. but I kinda hate to kill them

dano 10-11-2012 02:19 PM

Landarc is right. I don't brine duck or goose. I do score the skin to try and let some of the fat find it's way out. Steaming and scoring usually does the trick. Brine is the way to go for chicken and turkey.

MS2SB 10-11-2012 02:35 PM

Instead of scoring you can also prick the skin all over with a skewer or toothpick.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express