The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot water tank blanket for cooker.. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145637)

daWreck'n Q 10-08-2012 05:08 PM

Hot water tank blanket for cooker..
 
I have a Yoder Smoker YS1320; Used it Saturday morning for the first time. Went through a bunch of pellets and had a hard time keeping even temp. Some could be from rookie incompetence! The ambient temp was around 32 degrees. I am thinking of getting a water heater blanket to cover it with when it is that cold. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I will add a link to the blanket at Home Depot that I am thinking about. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks one and all!

TALEG8R BBQ 10-08-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daWreck'n Q (Post 2238101)
I have a Yoder Smoker YS1320; Used it Saturday morning for the first time. Went through a bunch of pellets and had a hard time keeping even temp. Some could be from rookie incompetence! The ambient temp was around 32 degrees. I am thinking of getting a water heater blanket to cover it with when it is that cold. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I will add a link to the blanket at Home Depot that I am thinking about. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks one and all!

I'm sure that would work. I've used a welders blanket on my traeger in the past.

IamMadMan 10-08-2012 07:17 PM

I have even used the quilted moving blankets

BBQ Bandit 10-08-2012 07:42 PM

Just make sure you use all natural fibers... any synthetic blends will be prone to melt.

Been there, done that, spent days scraping it off...

tiedeus 10-08-2012 07:55 PM

I've wrapped my UDS in this stuff for smoking in winter:

http://www.insulationstop.com/wp/wp-...-heater-14.jpg

It came in a roll 24"x25' and i bought it at Home Depot. I looked on their website but didn't see the product. It was in the aisle where you would buy the blankets for water heaters. I've smoked food in the winter as cold as 20 degrees Fahrenheit and was able to keep the temp steady at 275 for 8+ hours.

phil c 10-08-2012 08:00 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. I dont know how well the stickburner will do in the winter, and wether I should just do the cook chamber or if I should try to insulate the firebox as well?

nucornhusker 10-08-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit (Post 2238240)
Just make sure you use all natural fibers... any synthetic blends will be prone to melt.

Been there, done that, spent days scraping it off...

Yep. I learned that lesson also.

Get a welders blanket.

nucornhusker 10-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil c (Post 2238254)
I have been wondering the same thing. I dont know how well the stickburner will do in the winter, and wether I should just do the cook chamber or if I should try to insulate the firebox as well?

I'm one of the crazy folk that stickburns year-round. It will use more fuel but it will perform well. Insulating will do the trick, but firebricks in both chambers will help too and probably be a lot cheaper and easier. That's what I do, so I can't say how much better insulating would be.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.