The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   First contest coming later this month (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145291)

RonsterQ 10-02-2012 07:33 PM

First contest coming later this month

and need to talk glaze...recipes and taste and tenderness are good but the glaze kills me! Don't need it at home but need it for the box....anything to give some shine with no added flavor except butter? ...thanks

Hub 10-03-2012 08:54 AM

Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub

Ackman 10-03-2012 10:55 AM

Forgot my glaze on the pork butt last weekend and got my best scores

RonsterQ 10-03-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hub (Post 2233226)
Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub

I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh

RonsterQ 10-03-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackman (Post 2233350)
Forgot my glaze on the pork butt last weekend and got my best scores

I believe that...just thinking for chicken and maybe ribs

boogiesnap 10-03-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonsterQ (Post 2233720)
I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh

happy birthday and good luck!

i would strongly suggest you not "refuse" to do anything in competition.

it's not about your principles on cooking, but getting good scores from the judges. whatever that takes.