The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alternative to Sheep's Casings (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140501)

bigkahunaranch 08-02-2012 09:29 AM

Alternative to Sheep's Casings

Most all of my sausage making involves using hog casings.
But I came across a recipe for a hotdog that I would like to tryout.
I am looking for something to use as a substitute for Sheeps casings, mainly because they cost anywhere from $53.00 to $60.00 for an order.
And they are not something I would use very much.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gtr 08-02-2012 10:21 AM

I could figure out a way to send you some of the ones I have (need see what the best way to pack 'em is). I bought some and it'll be more than I'll use in a long time. I'd be more than happy to send some along, so hit me with a PM if interested. :thumb:

columbia1 08-02-2012 10:23 AM

For a natural casing in that size range you are stuck with sheep-casings, there are plenty of uses for leftover sheep casings like pepperoni sticks and breakfast sausages. If you never tried natural casings for breakfast sausage you are truely missing the best tasting sausage you ever had!!

Fishawn 08-02-2012 10:58 AM

Typically Bass Pro or Cabela's carry smaller bags of sheep casings in the $7-$10 range, or try Amazon also.

Warning when opening a bag that's been sitting at room temp...... They stink.....

On edit, looks like the $15-$18 range now...... Been a year since I bought some.... WOW!

bigkahunaranch 08-02-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks folks for the replies.

Does anybody know if there is a small collegen casing, that would work also?

columbia1 08-02-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkahunaranch (Post 2161070)

Try Sausage Maker, they carry lots of different casings.

Yellowhair42 08-02-2012 05:36 PM

There is collagen but they are very expensive.

PitRow 08-02-2012 05:50 PM

LEM has sheep casings in 5 oz. bags. $14.99. I've never used their sheep casings but I've done the smaller bags of hog casings and never had any problems. Sometimes they do have some shorter lengths (like a foot or so) in the small bags, but I don't find it to be much of a problem.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/3733/Natural_Casings

Mo-Dave 08-02-2012 08:15 PM

I went to a local butcher and bought casings by the hank but have not ask about casings for hotdogs. The casings for breakfast or sticks sound like a good idea.
Dave

Crazy Harry 08-02-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2160951)
I could figure out a way to send you some of the ones I have (need see what the best way to pack 'em is). I bought some and it'll be more than I'll use in a long time. I'd be more than happy to send some along, so hit me with a PM if interested. :thumb:

the best way to send them is to pack in salt or brine then vacusuck.

IamMadMan 08-03-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkahunaranch (Post 2161070)

There is, but I don't think collagen casings would be cheaper. Also the "snap" or "crunch" factor of a natural casing would be lost with the collegian casings. In my opinion that is what makes the finished product more inviting to eat.