-   Q-talk (
-   -   UDS Grate Thermometer (

JimF 06-27-2012 12:26 PM

UDS Grate Thermometer
What brand of grate thermometer is recommended? I assume the $5 grill replacement thermometers isnt going cut it.

Also, whats the pros and cons of using something like a permanent probe thermometer at the grate level?

Pugi 06-27-2012 12:43 PM

I used a cheap but accurate turkey frying thermometer. I did the drilled bolt mod and it can slide in and out for charcoal basket removal. Works great. In the first pic I pulled it out a little to show slide through bolt. The second pick shows how it sits when smoking.

1FUNVET 06-27-2012 12:58 PM

You need one with a probe that extends at least to the middle of the grate. I have a turkey fryer one on the bottom grate and Ashcroft industrial style i got off ebay on the top one.

JimF 06-27-2012 01:12 PM

Looks like a turkey fryer with Bolt Mod is the way to go. Thanks guys!

dadsr4 06-27-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JimF (Post 2110917)
Looks like a turkey fryer with Bolt Mod is the way to go. Thanks guys!

Get one with a hex where the probe enters the dial. They can be calibrated in boiling water by turning the hex until it reads correctly.

Pugi 06-27-2012 04:36 PM

When looking at thermometers grab a handfull and pick the one that does not read higher or lower then the others. Check in ice water for 32* and boiling water for proper temp. At my altitude and barometric pressure its about 208*.