The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weber One-Touch system (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136873)

el_matt 06-25-2012 06:05 PM

Weber One-Touch system
 
I have an OTG, date code DA(2001). If I were to replace the One-Touch system, would the temperature control be worth the effort? I got my OTG at an estate sale a year or two ago, so I only know temp. control with an 11 year old, used kettle.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the juice worth the squeeze? The new blades are about $12-$15, so it's not a price issue. It's more of a value issue.

There's nothing wrong with my kettle, but if I can make it better, I'd love to.

Matt

landarc 06-25-2012 06:47 PM

How worn are the blades? I find that the OTS system does need a cleaning and tightening up from time to time. I also give a tap to the blades in a closed position with a mallet to make sure they are somewhat tight to the kettle surface

caseydog 06-25-2012 06:51 PM

If the blades are just not seating correctly on the bowl, take them off, bend them straight, and re-install them.

CD

mbshop 06-25-2012 08:23 PM

they do get worn and bent when folks don't clean the bottom and crud builds up. then forcing the blades against this will bend them.

el_matt 06-26-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2108587)
If the blades are just not seating correctly on the bowl, take them off, bend them straight, and re-install them.

CD

How difficult is it to take them off? I'm just concerned that the metal may break, and then I'll have to replace them.

Matt

Bebe 06-26-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt (Post 2109578)
How difficult is it to take them off? I'm just concerned that the metal may break, and then I'll have to replace them.

Matt

just zoom out the picture, you'll see


why don't you get a new one?

el_matt 06-26-2012 04:19 PM

Thanks Bebe. I actually just cleaned up the bottom of the kettle with elbow grease and some foil. The fins seem to fit much better. I think I'll give it a bit of a tap or two and see if that doesn't tighten them up.

Matt

mbshop 06-26-2012 05:01 PM

after having said what i did, i went and checked the one i'm using now and it was getting some good carbon build up so i took everything apart and 'am cleaning the bowl and vanes. i do it enough that nothing was rusted.

mbshop 06-26-2012 06:42 PM

i couldn't find my plastic scraper but eyed some wood door shims. dang they work good, so try that. the really super hard stuff will have to be scraped of with a dulled screwdriver.

humblegriller 07-07-2012 01:33 PM

How exactly do you get the one-touch system off? I can't figure it out.:oops:

I bought a party-q and installed it where I thought it would work best, but now one of the blades hits the inside portion of the adapter. I want to take that blade off so I can cut and reshape it to clear yet still seal.

pueblo 07-07-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humblegriller (Post 2125685)
How exactly do you get the one-touch system off? I can't figure it out.:oops:

I bought a party-q and installed it where I thought it would work best, but now one of the blades hits the inside portion of the adapter. I want to take that blade off so I can cut and reshape it to clear yet still seal.

I have to remove my blades too, so I called Weber for instructions. In a nutshell ... it's a b!tch. You have to push really hard on the little washer on the bottom (outside) of the bowl so that the handle will slide out. Good luck with that, especially if your rig is newer. The mechanism is put together really tight, and getting the handle out is the hard part on a newer unit. Then you turn that "H"-like thing on the inside of the bowl, and it all comes apart. I'll be taking a run at it this afternoon.

humblegriller 07-07-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pueblo (Post 2125719)
I have to remove my blades too, so I called Weber for instructions. In a nutshell ... it's a b!tch. You have to push really hard on the little washer on the bottom (outside) of the bowl so that the handle will slide out. Good luck with that, especially if your rig is newer. The mechanism is put together really tight, and getting the handle out is the hard part on a newer unit. Then you turn that "H"-like thing on the inside of the bowl, and it all comes apart. I'll be taking a run at it this afternoon.

Went outside to try. Unfortunately the temperature here is 106 and the grill is too hot to touch. I'll have to try after the sun moves enough to put it in the shade.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind.

If worse comes to worse, it looks like they make a thumbscrew version to replace it.

mbshop 07-07-2012 03:13 PM

if you have an old thumb screw one then its not to hard. for sure, replace the thumbscrew with a ss bolt so it doesn't rust itself solid. as to the new h style, i would take it apart regularly or it will rust solid with the crappy material weber uses.

pueblo 07-07-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humblegriller (Post 2125745)
Went outside to try. Unfortunately the temperature here is 106 and the grill is too hot to touch. I'll have to try after the sun moves enough to put it in the shade.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind.

If worse comes to worse, it looks like they make a thumbscrew version to replace it.

Done .... and true to my original description it was a b!tch. The procedure:

put a flat head screwdriver between the rod that moves the blades and the washer fits against the kettle (between the little ears that hold the rod). Twist the screwdriver and also twist the rod until a "key" on the rod lets loose of the washer. Twist the rod until the key lines up with a slot in one of the ears. Pull the rod through the ears. I had to use a punch to knock the rod through the ears. Then pull the washer down off the ears. The rest is obvious.

Good luck. What a lousy design.

rez 01-27-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pueblo (Post 2126354)
Done .... and true to my original description it was a b!tch. The procedure:

put a flat head screwdriver between the rod that moves the blades and the washer fits against the kettle (between the little ears that hold the rod). Twist the screwdriver and also twist the rod until a "key" on the rod lets loose of the washer. Twist the rod until the key lines up with a slot in one of the ears. Pull the rod through the ears. I had to use a punch to knock the rod through the ears. Then pull the washer down off the ears. The rest is obvious.

Good luck. What a lousy design.

Great description thanks so much! - I had 2 out of the 3 sweeps bent up on my Weber so they were neither sweeping nor controlling air flow so have been doing google searches for the past few days trying to figure out what to do next. Just found this thread today; followed the instructions and was able to fix in about an hour from start to finish (including cleaning out most of the crud from around the bottom of the bowl).

Now I need to figure out a way to keep small pieces of lump falling through the grate on the Weber and plugging up the bottom vents (which can then cause the bent sweeps). My first post on the site and not trying to be rude but so happy I found this info that am posting even though it's warning me that it's an old thread.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.