The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Questions for the royal (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12729)

Jeff_in_KC 07-25-2005 02:58 PM

Questions for the royal

Of course this doesn't need any further explanation at all...

I just want to say I'm so pumped for the Royal, I can't stand it!!! You guys always look like you're having so much fun, I can't wait to get involved. What better place to cut your competition teeth than the Grandaddy? And what better place to introduce the world to my babybacks? Lucky world! :lol:

spicewine 07-25-2005 03:15 PM

You Go Girl !!! Maybe I will see ya there!!

Jeff_in_KC 07-25-2005 03:40 PM

I hope so! All you other MoFo's gotta be there to see me in my first contest! :) I'm making my home brew and kegging it! Man, I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest! LOL!

Solidkick 07-25-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest!
HEY!! I resemble that remark!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Best of luck to ya, for sure! I don't know yet if we'll be cooking at the AR, but I'm sure we might be able to run up on Saturday for a visit. You know, Sweet T has experience with turn in boxes..... :wink:

Jeff_in_KC 07-27-2005 10:16 AM

Competition Sausage Question...

The Royal is having a sausage competition and I'm curious... when they say "sausage", they're probably not refering to fatties are they? Or could I do some sort of a fatty mod to make it interesting? I signed up for it because they didn't charge extra but now I'm wondering if it is more along the lines of the stuffed skin type sausage you make up on your own. Can someone fill me in on this? Thanks!

parrothead 07-27-2005 10:53 AM

RE: Competition Sausage Question...

I had the same thing at cometition 2 weeks ago. Did not really get any straight answers. I turned in a plain old maple fatty with nothing done to it and took 4th place out of 63 teams. Got me some cash out of it also. Go with a maple fatty. For right now it will be unique enough to be different. Not sure about a few years from now.

VitaminQ 07-27-2005 10:56 AM

I saw a fatty when I was judging Art of Barbecue in Tulsa in June. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sure liked it.

Jeff_in_KC 07-27-2005 11:18 AM

Cool! Maple fatties it is then! And you're right... I don't think most people know what it is. Of course I've gotten the weird looks when I've told people I smoke fatties! The maple ones absolutely rock... I'd be impressed if I was a judge! Thanks, guys!

Qczar 07-27-2005 01:50 PM

Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?

I just can`t get past using the mass produced pre rolled fatty mod.

Hell, mustard goes with sausage. Maybe a honey mustard version? I`ll be trying that one next burn.

icemn62 07-27-2005 03:34 PM

Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xczar
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?.

I did something like this once when I was stuffing peppers ofr the smoker. I had a lot of the meat left over, so I rolled it into a loaf like shape and put it in the smoker. Tasted okay, but thought I rolled it too tight.

Jeff_in_KC 07-27-2005 04:28 PM

RE: Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

BTW... I'm sure some of you have thought of it already (haven't seen recipes in awhile) but last time I did ABTs in my chili grill, I mixed together that new whipped garlic and spice cream cheese and a bit of the whipped onion and chive cream cheese and stirred in a finely chopped fatty section! Then stuffed the peppers! Awesome!

chad 07-27-2005 04:43 PM

Moderator comment:

Gents: Keep it on topic or it goes bye-bye. :D

Jeff_in_KC 07-27-2005 07:13 PM

Sorry Chad...

Jeff_in_KC 07-27-2005 07:21 PM

Made it barely under the gun for the Royal sign up. It looks like by Friday, they'll be full so if you're thinking about it... git r done! And also, not bad for a competition rookie, I've already gotten two sponsor companies today... one for $250 and another for $100. My wife is going to talk to her boss tomorrow about at least another $100. This could end up being pretty cheap for us! Sorry to boast but I'm pretty pumped about all this since it's my first contest!

frognot 07-27-2005 08:58 PM

Jeff, best of luck! keep us posted.