The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wine Barrel Smoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126691)

NU2QN 02-22-2012 04:42 PM

Wine Barrel Smoker

3 Attachment(s)
I had a job interview today and when I got home, my 60 qt. steamer basket was waiting for me. I wasn't planning on starting until Friday but I couldn't help myself. I started where most finish off, the charcoal basket. That is what the steamer basket is for.

Here we go. I didn't like the height of the basket so I cut off the rivets holding the handle and then cut three inches off the top. I drilled an additional set of holes around the bottom and drilled new holes to attach the handle.

The first pic shows all the components ready to be assembled.
Attachment 61126
The handle reattached to the basket.
Attachment 61127
I attached a 16" pizza pan as an ash catcher.
Attachment 61128
It's almost too purty to burn, isn't it?

My helper (youngest son) is coming to visit this weekend. We will begin working on the barrel itself on Friday. I will continue to post pics as I work on the project so stay tuned.

BBQ4FUN 02-22-2012 04:52 PM

:thumb:

smokingj 02-22-2012 05:53 PM

nice work. I did the same thing with my drum until I was able to get some expanded metal. Those baskets work great. Mine was a lot smaller but had some good cooks with it. Since then I have cut the basket into different sections to have charcoal rings ala WSM style for my smokey joe's and smokey joe tall boy.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...ingj13/148.jpg

bluetang 02-22-2012 06:30 PM

Lookin good there Mon! Me lookin forward for more:grin:

NU2QN 02-24-2012 07:49 PM

Day 2 & 3

4 Attachment(s)
Yesterday after I got off work, my plan was to get the holes marked and drilled so this is how it went.

I guessed where the center of each stave was and marked a virticle line on the four middle bands. Then I marked the spot for the hole on each of the verticle lines at half the width of the band, measured not guessed on this step. I started drilling and this is when I discovered again how important the right tool for the right job was. After a quick trip to the hardware store, a 1/8" and 3/16" titanium drill bit the work continued. I started each hole with the smaller bit then i followed behind with the larger bit making sure I only drilled through the metal of the band and not into the wood.

The picture shows the holes marked. I forgot to get a picture after the drilling was done.
Attachment 61204

Friday morning began with some Xbox with my son before getting started on the barrel. We started sanding around 11. Note to self, next time sand the bands, paint the bands, then sand the wood. I am no Picaso when it comes to painting.

This pic shows my son helping me out with the sanding
Attachment 61205

This is the barrel and bands sanded ready for paint.
Attachment 61206

My original plan was to use a bronze colored spray paint for the bands. I ended up buying a quart of Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black and brushed it on. I am happy with the decision, the brush strokes at some petina to the finish.

Here is the barrel with the bands painted and the screws installed.
Attachment 61207

Tomorrow we will be hitting the wood with the sander again to remove the paint screw ups. Then we will cut the lid, install the hinges, chains, and cooking grate.

More pictures to follow.

jeffjenkins1 02-24-2012 09:22 PM

That looks awesome!

Jeff

Q-Dat 02-24-2012 09:42 PM

This looks great, but I have an ignorant question.

How are you planning to keep this from catching fire? :confused:

NU2QN 02-25-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 1958809)
This looks great, but I have an ignorant question.

How are you planning to keep this from catching fire? :confused:

The fire basket sits about 3 inches off the bottom and there is a steel pizza pan underneath. There is about three inches clearance around the fire basket so there shouldnt be any problem there. I don't plan on cooking in this over 275. Worse case scenario is I might have to put water in the bottom during the cook. I don't expect any problems as other people have done the same thing.

DaveMW 02-25-2012 07:29 AM

Looks great so far!

bluetang 02-25-2012 07:32 AM

Lookin purdy!:clap2:

Jaskew82 02-25-2012 08:43 AM

looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Hunterman95 02-25-2012 09:49 AM

Looks great. How much was the steamer basket, and where did you get it?

Q-Dat 02-25-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NU2QN (Post 1958890)
The fire basket sits about 3 inches off the bottom and there is a steel pizza pan underneath. There is about three inches clearance around the fire basket so there shouldnt be any problem there. I don't plan on cooking in this over 275. Worse case scenario is I might have to put water in the bottom during the cook. I don't expect any problems as other people have done the same thing.

Sounds very cool! Have you considered maybe putting about an inch of sand or cat litter in the bottom?

NU2QN 02-25-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterman95 (Post 1959071)
Looks great. How much was the steamer basket, and where did you get it?

http://www.waresdirect.com/

It's a 60 Qt and was less than 37 dollars shipped and received it within a week.

el_matt 02-25-2012 11:53 AM

Lovin' this! I've got a barrel coming my way soon, hopefully.

Matt