The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gravity Fed smokers and Grills (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Made in China BBQ controller and Commentsers (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125251)

woodpelletsmoker 02-01-2012 10:00 AM

Made in China BBQ controller and Commentsers

Link of the controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_6858wt_989

Today, 10:42 AM #22
landshark530
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

my review
I purchased one of these controllers, mostly based on the price and options. I was going to build my own pid controller, but this unit was only about 40 bucks more than I was going to invest on a single readout unit.
My cost for the golden-wolf with a fan and flange was $158.00. The duel readout made the difference over a single readout unit.

Shipping took about a week. I had a short delay due to some manufacturing problem during the new year week. My bad for ordering during the holidays. They threw in an extra temp sensor for the trouble.

I received the unit and started testing the with boiling water and with my pellet stove I use to heat my home. The temp controlls worked well. The fan unit is a 50 cfm fan, which is plenty for my chargriller and uds. The other controllers I looked at only had 5, 10, or 25 cfm motors, with the 35 cfm motor being $150+ just for the motor. Computer fans, which is what all these controllers on the market use, cost about a one dollar per cfm, so charging 180 dollars for a 25 cfm fan is highway robbery.

The unit can control the pit based on pit temp, or meat temp, or run a program that will do both. I just used the pit temp and ran the meat temp as a backup.
I used a 5 dollar electical box to attach it to my side firebox. I thought the higher cfm fan might be an issue, but I had no problems. The unit can also be adjusted so the fan does not run at 100%.
I threw on some counrty style ribs for a test, no reason to waste expensive meat. I had an initial spike when I started the cook, but after that the system ran better than expected, and kept temps where I set it. I forgot to add fuel and it dropped to 190. I threw on another hunk of wood and it recovered with the fan quickly.
I jumped the temps at the end and it changed and ran accurately without fail. Temps remained within 5 degrees and most of the time stayed dead on. My smoker is not air tight and I was using charcoal to start, then used apple and cherry wood.
I used a 4amp power supply because the fan is a 2 amp fan, but I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.
The instructions are not the clearest, but I was able to figure them out. You can program 4 different cookings phases, but it was easy to turn them off and just run one program.
There are high temp and low temp alarms, Setting them at extreme ranges eliminates them going off if you don't need them.

I extended the fan wires to give me some more room to work with. I just used a small cooler to hold the unit for this test.

Today, 10:45 AM #23
landshark530
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I forgot to mention. My ribs turned out great. Was also my first time using Myron Mixon's rubs from his book. The ribs were so good I forgot to take pics. My bad, again... I'll be doing a brisket this weekend and will try to remember to get some pics.

I did not get any price drop or deal for my review, but I felt this was a decent product and half the cost of units with the same options.

The fact that you can run the pit and monitor the meat without having to buy another product was also a nice feature. The alarm is loud enough that once it goes off if you don't respond to it, your neighbors are sure to call you and let you know about it. It's not loud, but loud enough, not a bad thing.

eddieh70301 02-01-2012 10:38 AM

Thanks for the review. Have been looking at the WiFi model. I already have a GURU but the WiFi feature is appealing now that I have an Iphone.

Funky D 02-01-2012 05:09 PM

Wait, where did the original thread go? There was some useful (to me) information in there, including a couple posts by the designer...