The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   For the Board (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Team of the Year Board Debacle (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121391)

kihrer 12-01-2011 04:06 PM

Team of the Year Board Debacle
 
After listening to the BoD debate I think there should be only one head cook listed for a team. I know people are probably tired of NASCAR references but let's take the 99 team. The team driver is Carl Edwards but there are several who make up the team. If Carl is sick and doesn't race, the 99 team doesn't get any cup points towards the championship even though a backup driver will most assuredly race the 99 car that week. It seems to me you could do away with all the potential unethical practices (hired guns) if you just ensured the head cook had to be present at the competition. If they're sick, that's just a bad break.

Now if the rest of the team wants to cook without the head cook, that should be fine. They can still win prizes and money but not gain points towards TOY or qualify for invitationals.

What are your thoughts?

Mornin' Wood 12-01-2011 04:12 PM

OOOh, I love debacles!

Jorge 12-01-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihrer (Post 1866896)
After listening to the BoD debate I think there should be only one head cook listed for a team. I know people are probably tired of NASCAR references but let's take the 99 team. The team driver is Carl Edwards but there are several who make up the team. If Carl is sick and doesn't race, the 99 team doesn't get any cup points towards the championship even though a backup driver will most assuredly race the 99 car that week. It seems to me you could do away with all the potential unethical practices (hired guns) if you just ensured the head cook had to be present at the competition. If they're sick, that's just a bad break.

Now if the rest of the team wants to cook without the head cook, that should be fine. They can still win prizes and money but not gain points towards TOY or qualify for invitationals.

What are your thoughts?

Following your logic it should be Cook of the Year, and that was discussed.

I know too many teams where there ARE multiple cooks. If someone can't make it the slack is picked up. If there was a rule that said the chief cook was required to cook everything, I could go along with what you suggest but that's not the case. I don't want to see anyone penalized, for the sake of convenience.

The discussion was...painful, but I think they are on the right track. Pick a # and track that and allow an additional cook or two to fill in if needed. Beyond that teams interested in ToY need to opt in at the beginning of the year and declare their cooks. There is record keeping overhead involved but it addresses the immediate issue.

The database issues are manageable either through the new software and database management software or separate operations that could filter the data provided by the software.

Fat Freddy 12-01-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihrer (Post 1866896)
After listening to the BoD debate I think there should be only one head cook listed for a team. I know people are probably tired of NASCAR references but let's take the 99 team. The team driver is Carl Edwards but there are several who make up the team. If Carl is sick and doesn't race, the 99 team doesn't get any cup points towards the championship even though a backup driver will most assuredly race the 99 car that week. It seems to me you could do away with all the potential unethical practices (hired guns) if you just ensured the head cook had to be present at the competition. If they're sick, that's just a bad break.

Now if the rest of the team wants to cook without the head cook, that should be fine. They can still win prizes and money but not gain points towards TOY or qualify for invitationals.

What are your thoughts?

99 team would get owner points just not driver points.:grin:

Sorry back on subject though. I can only dream about TOY, heck i can only dream about GC at this point but saying that my team consists of myself and my wife and for whatever reason if one of us couldnt cook the other is just as important, though my wife says she is more important than me-she only needs me to watch the temps at night so she can sleep. But regardless this team is BOTH of us together.

kihrer 12-01-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 1866913)
Following your logic it should be Cook of the Year, and that was discussed.

I know too many teams where there ARE multiple cooks. If someone can't make it the slack is picked up. If there was a rule that said the chief cook was required to cook everything, I could go along with what you suggest but that's not the case. I don't want to see anyone penalized, for the sake of convenience.

The discussion was...painful, but I think they are on the right track. Pick a # and track that and allow an additional cook or two to fill in if needed. Beyond that teams interested in ToY need to opt in at the beginning of the year and declare their cooks. There is record keeping overhead involved but it addresses the immediate issue.

The database issues are manageable either through the new software and database management software or separate operations that could filter the data provided by the software.

Hi Jorge,

I know they discussed Cook of the Year but what they are proposing doesn't solve the problem. Let's say they go with two head cooks. You and I could form a team and you are down in Texas and I am up in the northeast. Our team consists of you and me as head cooks and we also have 4 or 5 assistant cooks. Now if we plan carefully (and we're both pretty good cooks), we could cover a lot more contests. I might not be able to travel every weekend and you may not be able to either but we could work our schedule out so we didn't miss many weekends. We can even pick up a few weekends were we can score double because you might find a Saturday comp and I a Sunday comp. The entire year we may never even cook together.

If we did this, we would not be breaking the letter of the rules or the possible proposed change by the board. But wouldn't we be breaking the spirit of the competition? Couldn't we hit more qualifier comps that would also give us an edge getting an invitational bid or a chance at the Jack?

I go back to NASCAR, when the championship is awarded, while the driver is the main recipient of the championship, the crew chief and crew also say they were part of the "championship team." They had their part and while they weren't the driver, they certainly played a major part in the championship. This year, one additional dropped lug nut by a tire changer could have changed the outcome.

I just don't see what they are proposing will change anything. Maybe I am not seeing something.

kihrer 12-01-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Freddy (Post 1866923)
99 team would get owner points just not driver points.:grin:

Exactly! And owner points don't count towards a championship. That's why I say the team should still be allowed to compete without the head cook and even win awards and prize money - just not points towards TOY. Nor do I think they should be able to win a GC that would count towards an invitational if the head cook isn't present.

Smoke'n Ice 12-01-2011 06:03 PM

Simple way to do it would be have a team declare at the start of the season or prior to their first competition the following:
1. Team name
2. Team member 1 and their kcbs membership number
3. Team member 2 and their kcbs membership number
4. Etc………..
5. Other team members can be listed but at least one person in attendance must be a card carrying member of kcbs and present and on the list submitted at the start of competition for any points to be earned.
No person can declare themselves as members of more than one team for TOY purposes.
The only numbers tracked are kcbs membership numbers and must be verified by the above criteria.

Scottie 12-01-2011 07:26 PM

Go down the list of top 25 teams for TOY. How many have multiple cooks? Are multiple cooks on the majority for those that are going for TOY?

This whole comparing to NASCAR is a bunch of crap. This isnt NASCAR folks. If they need to change it to Cook of the Year, then do it. But for so many folks to ne in an uproar over this issue that will never have any effect on them, just makes me scratch my head. I believe someone came up with 1% of the KCBS members are going for TOY points.

jbrink01 12-01-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1867068)
Go down the list of top 25 teams for TOY. How many have multiple cooks? Are multiple cooks on the majority for those that are going for TOY?

This whole comparing to NASCAR is a bunch of crap. This isnt NASCAR folks. If they need to change it to Cook of the Year, then do it. But for so many folks to ne in an uproar over this issue that will never have any effect on them, just makes me scratch my head. I believe someone came up with 1% of the KCBS members are going for TOY points.

Precisely.

dmprantz 12-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1867068)
Go down the list of top 25 teams for TOY. How many have multiple cooks? Are multiple cooks on the majority for those that are going for TOY?

This whole comparing to NASCAR is a bunch of crap. This isnt NASCAR folks. If they need to change it to Cook of the Year, then do it. But for so many folks to ne in an uproar over this issue that will never have any effect on them, just makes me scratch my head. I believe someone came up with 1% of the KCBS members are going for TOY points.

You may be correct for TOY. It doesn't change the fact that teams are entities unique from cooks and show have their own entity within a database. A big part of the point is to reduce errors in spelling. Having each team member enter team name seperately (duplicating data) is part of how you introduce errors into a system, not to mention increasing the space it takes. One team, one field to hold the team name.

dmp

Dan - 3eyzbbq 12-01-2011 07:52 PM

I say we just keep it the same. But thats no fun. For discussion:

We couild make an iron man division. Only 1 cook, no assistants, no runners, just the cook.

Or maybe declare what your 10 contests will be for the year (that would count for TOY) ahead of time, which would take away an advantage of cooking lots of contests.

Or lets assign a handicap to cooks to level the playing field. Therefore hired guns wouldn't really help, they would have to score too high to make up the points of a new team. Boy, wouldn't THAT be a nightmare to track?

Or.... I dunno, just leave it be and try and win without changing the rules.

Dan - 3eyzbbq 12-01-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmprantz (Post 1867089)
You may be correct for TOY. It doesn't change the fact that teams are entities unique from cooks and show have their own entity within a database. A big part of the point is to reduce errors in spelling. Having each team member enter team name seperately (duplicating data) is part of how you introduce errors into a system, not to mention increasing the space it takes. One team, one field to hold the team name.

dmp

Yes, but I believe what he is saying is you could also make the cook the unique entity and the team around them is irrelevant. Not saying I agree with that, but that would be a COY (cook of the year) system.

Smokedelic 12-01-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1867068)
Go down the list of top 25 teams for TOY. How many have multiple cooks? Are multiple cooks on the majority for those that are going for TOY?

This whole comparing to NASCAR is a bunch of crap. This isnt NASCAR folks. If they need to change it to Cook of the Year, then do it. But for so many folks to ne in an uproar over this issue that will never have any effect on them, just makes me scratch my head. I believe someone came up with 1% of the KCBS members are going for TOY points.

How many teams have multiple cooks? Only a few, probably. How many teams could have multiple cooks? All of them. Why not get ahead of the game and come out with a system that addresses a few major potential issues instead of always being reactionary?

And while this issue may or may not affect me, it does and has affected people I am friends with, as I'm sure is the case with others here. So if I express concern over the fact that the system needs to be proactively addressed, even though it may not affect me directly, just know that it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think that a thoughtful discussion on the matter may eventually help out some of my friends. Fair enough?

kihrer 12-01-2011 08:12 PM

As it has been clearly pointed out, I have no dog in this hunt as I am in no way one of the few who are competing for TOY. If it is preferred that I keep my mouth (keyboard) shut, I can do that. It will be hard but I can do it:becky:

kihrer 12-01-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq (Post 1867091)

Or maybe declare what your 10 contests will be for the year (that would count for TOY) ahead of time, which would take away an advantage of cooking lots of contests.

I kind of like this idea. It would allow more teams to compete for the title. Or maybe just take your top 10. That way those who invest more have a better shot.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.