The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rest after brine? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120928)

kitts21 11-24-2011 05:55 AM

Rest after brine?

I will be roasting my brined bird in the oven, do I still need to let it rest for a while before putting it in there? Or will the skin be ok if I remove it from the brine rinse and in the oven,since it is being cooked at a higher temp, than a smoker?

SmokeWatcher 11-24-2011 06:12 AM

I usually go from brine to cooker without resting. The high temps should crisp it up alright.

kitts21 11-24-2011 06:21 AM

Thanks, I was starting to worry that my cooking schedule was going to be messed up. I am at peace once more.

Skidder 11-24-2011 06:41 AM

I brine, rinse then at the very least dry with a few paper towels usually tho I let it dry in the fridge for a few hours then cook

Terry The Toad 11-24-2011 06:25 PM

Probably too late for today's cook, but for what it's worth: I brined, rinsed, patted it dry and let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes. Then it went into the smoker. It turned out great.

Wampus 11-24-2011 06:34 PM

I always like to pull mine from the brine the night before the cook and let it sit in the fridge overnight to rest. I always cook my turkeys at at least 325, but usually closer to 400 and still like to rest them to dehydrate the skin.

viper1 11-25-2011 12:03 AM

I pull from brine and let sit 1-2 hrs at room temp after washing and drying. Gives brine a chance to even out and time to warm a little be for hitting smoker. Takes less time to get back to temp.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kitts21 11-26-2011 02:47 AM

Well, I have to say thanks to everyone for their help. This was the best turkey I have made to date. Now I will confess I didn't smoke it, but I did brine it. And when it was done, I couldn't get the juice to stop ozzing out of the bird. I let it rest on the counter in a foil tent for about 30-45 min. and I had to empty my turkey carving board 3 times. Even after I cut it up there was still alot of juice in it. I will never do another turkey with out brining. Sorry no pic's but I was to busy cutting and plating to get the camera.

Bbqin fool 11-26-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 1860101)
I brine, rinse then at the very least dry with a few paper towels usually tho I let it dry in the fridge for a few hours then cook

+1:thumb: