The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who bags the best charcoal briquettes? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120394)

laveen1 11-15-2011 09:30 PM

Who bags the best charcoal briquettes?

:crazy: To use my Weber Kettle for smoking means burning small amounts of raw, new, coal briquettes continuously to control the heat. Normally, coal gives off some bad fumes before it becomes a neutral, burning piece of matter. What is the best charcoal briquette for smoking?

tamadrummer 11-15-2011 09:34 PM

Stubb's

DIRTYBIRDZ 11-15-2011 10:30 PM

I always use Kingsford Blue. Has a bad reputation but haven't personally figured out why. The ash is a pain but when it comes to cost nobody can compete. The burn when smoking is always consistent. When splurging Wicked Good Lump is awesome.

Bogus Chezz Hawg 11-15-2011 10:51 PM

Why not add hot coals to the kettle? :thumb:

J'ville Grill 11-15-2011 11:07 PM

I've never had any problems with bad fumes from briquette using Kingsford or Stubb's and I use the minion method when I smoke.

mbshop 11-16-2011 12:01 AM

most will use the minion method. but if yer really worried about it then use lump.

LoneStarMojo 11-16-2011 12:06 AM

Stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's

NorthwestBBQ 11-16-2011 12:31 AM

Kingsford Blue.

AustinKnight 11-16-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo (Post 1851946)
Stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's stubb's

I would say Stubb's also, look ya'll a aggie and a longhorn agreeing on something :shock: :flypig:

southernstyle 11-16-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTYBIRDZ (Post 1851902)
I always use Kingsford Blue. Has a bad reputation but haven't personally figured out why. The ash is a pain but when it comes to cost nobody can compete. The burn when smoking is always consistent. When splurging Wicked Good Lump is awesome.

ive always used kingsford blue with no troubles. would like to try the stubbs, but no lowes in my area.

posey's_pork_pit 11-16-2011 05:59 AM

Trader Joe's Natural Hardwood briquettes a.k.a. The Original Charcoal Company Ranchers Charcoal. It's seasonal at Trader Joe's so I stock up when available. Otherwise, I use Stubbs.

Harbormaster 11-16-2011 06:40 AM

Royal Oak Chef's Select (ROCS). Available through DoIt Best hardware via ship-to-store. I use it all the time. Quality stuff.

TY~DY 11-16-2011 07:03 AM

Publix Green Wise Lump

Stacks 11-16-2011 07:10 AM

Doesn't the minion method and adding new briquettes pretty much do the same thing when it comes to heating up to neutral? The minion just means you don't have to open the lid to add more coals as often. I use both Stubbs (my favorite) and Kingsford Blue, never noticed any bad fumes.

Steve W 11-16-2011 07:30 AM

I think that most folks are going the entire cook with a minion load. Most of the bad crap gets heated and burned out during the preheat before the meat gets on.

The issue is adding fresh KBB to a smoker that's already going. You'll get some bad smoke as the fresh KBB warms up and starts igniting.

Next time I smoke on the mini, I'll try and have a bag of Stubbs on hand, purely for refilling it during the last few hours of a smoke. KBB for the first load, since there's no worries if you let the smoker run for a while until there's sweet blue.