The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Yoder Smokers (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Yoder Smokers (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119372)

deguerre 10-31-2011 06:06 PM

Yoder Smokers

So I've noticed. A sellers page but no threads? I'm seriously considering one of these. Any thoughts?

Arlin_MacRae 10-31-2011 06:28 PM

Guerry, I've been drooling over the Stockton since I saw it at the Royal. I've talked with the owner numerous times and better customer service ain't to be had. The pits are excellent. Ask the Poobah. ;)

getyourrubonbbq 10-31-2011 06:30 PM

Which model you looking at Guerry? Working on a few things here for next year's product line.

deguerre 11-01-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getyourrubonbbq (Post 1835927)
Which model you looking at Guerry? Working on a few things here for next year's product line.

Since it's just me and Redhot mostly, and if I cook for others it won't be more than 15 or so, the Cheyenne has great appeal. I was very impressed a few weeks ago when I sent an email with a question and received an answer in less than two hours. That tells me a lot. Also, I like that it's 1/4" steel when others that size are often less, and it just looks like a real quality smoker from the pics.

colonel00 11-01-2011 12:43 PM

I have seen them at the Cabela's near me. Very solid. I don't remember the model(s) I saw but the only thing that really struck me was they seemed kinda small for the money. I am sure they cook great and have thick walls to hold heat. It just seemed that the rack space was tight for an $800 smoker. Also, once you make up your mind and have pricing, PM me before you pull the trigger, I might be able to save some money.

Ron_L 11-01-2011 12:48 PM

I looked at them at the KCBS banquet last year and I was very impressed by the way they were built, but otherwise I have no experience.

deguerre 11-01-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1836693)
I have seen them at the Cabela's near me. Very solid. I don't remember the model(s) I saw but the only thing that really struck me was they seemed kinda small for the money. I am sure they cook great and have thick walls to hold heat. It just seemed that the rack space was tight for an $800 smoker. Also, once you make up your mind and have pricing, PM me before you pull the trigger, I might be able to save some money.

That would probably be the Cheyenne I'm thinking about. About 525 sq inches I'd estimate. Really, considering I have a Kettle/Cajun Bandit already if I need additional room it's available. Plus, I'm sure a second smaller rack could be an option?

colonel00 11-01-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 1836700)
That would probably be the Cheyenne I'm thinking about. About 525 sq inches I'd estimate. Really, considering I have a Kettle/Cajun Bandit already if I need additional room it's available. Plus, I'm sure a second smaller rack could be an option?

Here is a pic from the Cabela's site. A second rack could be possible I guess but only if you are doing flat stuff like ribs.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...npeDLMyPKV5CqC

Edit: I should reiterate that this is only from observations in passing. I haven't spent time truly evaluating them. Hopefully an owner can chime in with true experience. However, if need be, I am willing to make the sacrifice to go to Cabelas again if you want more info :becky:

Oldyote 01-09-2012 05:43 PM

Also looking at Yoder. I'll have to save for another year or more but I like the Witchita. Sent email on a Saturday morning and had response back within 45 minutes.

deguerre you should really pull the trigger so you can give us a solid review.

Bigdog 01-09-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 1835905)
So I've noticed. A sellers page but no threads? I'm seriously considering one of these. Any thoughts?

That's strange, I've seen several threads on them. Great smokers and great people. Family run too. Don and his wife Cathy run th joint and their daughter and son in law help out.

There have been several threads on the YS640 alone. It is the one I want as do others that want a good pellet pooping horizontal smoker/grill.

deguerre 01-15-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 1909069)
That's strange, I've seen several threads on them. Great smokers and great people. Family run too. Don and his wife Cathy run th joint and their daughter and son in law help out.

There have been several threads on the YS640 alone. It is the one I want as do others that want a good pellet pooping horizontal smoker/grill.

In Q-Talk yes. But none in the vendor's forum?

HoDeDo 01-16-2012 09:41 PM

I'll be cooking on Yoders in comp this year... albeit pellet cookers. Having said that that, I teach classes at All Things BBQ monthly, and use their stickburners too; I have used a wichita, kingman, and a frontiersman. I have not used a cheyenne, but I would go for the 20" tube if I was looking at the smaller end of the line. They are SWEET! My favorite cooker at the classes is the Frontiersman, the damper and heat distrobution plates, and large stack, allow you to build hot spots at either end, or create an even cook. The build quality is great.

I was teaching classes down there before I started cooking on their pits, and have really put their gear through the paces. I'm a believer. I'd cook on anything they stock and not think twice. Muzzlebrake got their new charcoal flat top grill, you want to talk about bad to the bone... that is HOTT!!!

As far as the people go, the whole crew is 100% devoted to the product, and making it the best it can be. Everyone I have met are great people to boot.

Don, and Kathy are great, and their entire family are involved -- and all the guys in production, engineering, and others that I have met all just feel like a big family. As others have illuded to, answers are provided quickly, the care is really beyond reproach. I cooked on a 480 at the Royal, and used a 640 (Sean's new one!) at the Jack, and have Yoder pellets in the trailer this year.... and if you have seen Mike Davis's (lotta bull) pit.... well that shows what Yoder's custom guys can do...