The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Party for 40, is my shopping list OK? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117701)

kyle corn 10-06-2011 04:05 PM

Party for 40, is my shopping list OK?

I'm cooking for my friend's daughter's 2nd birthday party. They're expecting about 40 people total, but I think that includes the little kids showing up. They want brisket, pulled pork, baked beans
and mac & cheese. They're handling food for the little kids as well as veggies/salads/extra sides.

Here's what I'm gonna pick up tonight unless someone chimes in that it isn't enough.

1 large packer (14lbs or more?)
2-4 butts (shooting for 25-30lbs uncooked)
4lbs dried pasta for homemade mac & cheese
7-10lbs canned pork and beans (to be doctored, probably into Keri's Hog Apple)

Am I looking OK or will I need more?

butt head 10-06-2011 05:01 PM

might be to much beans

Gore 10-07-2011 05:52 AM

I find the amount of food you need is directly proportional to how well you cook. If it were me, I'd probably add another packer, :becky: but I also like leftovers. I'm sure you're fine with what you have. And yes, probably too many beans.

HBMTN 10-07-2011 07:29 AM

For 40 adult?

1 large packer (14lbs or more?)
Sounds good

2-4 butts (shooting for 25-30lbs uncooked)
I'd do 3-4 butts

4lbs dried pasta for homemade mac & cheese
Depends on recipe I guess

7-10lbs canned pork and beans (to be doctored, probably into Keri's Hog Apple)
Way too much, 2- 10# cans of beans and half a 10#can of apples or peaches and you will have a lot left over.

I use peaches in syrup instead of peach pie filling the cost is way less and turns out just as good. You could do apples instead.

kyle corn 10-07-2011 05:19 PM

OK, I went with a 15lb packer, I have 4 butts totalling 30 lbs, 1 7lb can of Bush's baked beans for doctoring and 3 lbs of pasta for mac & cheese. I feel confident.

I figured that was going to be too much beans, but that large can was only $6.50 at Smart N Final so I figured too much is better than not enough.

Thanks guys!

Kyle

kyle corn 10-08-2011 10:03 PM

Just got back, the food was a hit! The brisket went QUICK but there was plenty of leftover pulled pork, even though I only cooked 3 butts. The mac and cheese went quick as well, I didn't quite use all 4 lbs, but I filled a large foil container. There was a bunch of beans leftover, which I anticipated. I got a lot of requests to cater parties, I guess I really should go legit, as today was just a favor for a friend.

bbqbull 10-09-2011 08:23 AM

Congrats on your gig!