The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   testing the avocado kamado (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116712)

MKE Meister 09-21-2011 09:35 AM

testing the avocado kamado
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hi all...hope I can figure out how to post pics.
1. recently bought an Avocado Kamado from Menards on sale (yes, I'm perfectly aware that this is NOT a BGE, but my mouth can't taste the difference). Trying different cooks to get a feel for it before going low and slow.
2. pizza (forgot to take a shot of my homemade pizza, this one is from Papa Murphy's)
3. bone-in pork chops with foil wrapped potatoes and veggies in the grill pan.
4. Plate of pork, taters, and veggies.
5. My first attempt at spatchcock. Brined the birds for about 12 hours, let them dry overnight, and grilled direct at about 325 for approx. 1.5 hours. Best chicken I've ever done.

Thanks for looking!

cbpeck 09-21-2011 09:44 AM

That food looks great!

And that smoker looks a whole lot like the Costco Kamado that was discussed a while back.

tamadrummer 09-21-2011 10:14 AM

Dude, that is some beautiful food! You owe no one an explanation about whether or not your grill is an egg or not. It is your kamodo and you fortunately got one. I am envious regardless of brand.

If you don't mind, what was the cost of that one from Menard's vs. BGE? Looks just like the BGE to the untrained eye! Do you have the platesetter indirect thingy or did you have to make something up on your own?

MKE Meister 09-21-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrummer (Post 1795109)
what was the cost of that one from Menard's?

I paid $379. Came with grill, side tables, stand, heavy cover, platesetter, top tier grill, and ash tool.

tamadrummer 09-21-2011 10:35 AM

Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!

Smoothsmoke 09-21-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrummer (Post 1795124)
Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!

I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.

tamadrummer 09-21-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 1795200)
I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.

I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though. :-D

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!

Smoothsmoke 09-21-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrummer (Post 1795220)
I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though. :-D

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!

I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.

tamadrummer 09-21-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 1795243)
I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.


Because I really don't know, maybe you do. Are the cracks repairable with jb weld or anything like it? Or is it just simply junk when it happens and needs to be replaced?

Johnny_Crunch 09-21-2011 01:01 PM

Nice cooker!

Johnny_Crunch 09-21-2011 01:01 PM

Did you lick the inside or outside of the cooker to determine they taste the same? :-P :bow:

speedrcer1 09-21-2011 01:29 PM

Great looking grub right there.

Welcome to the playhouse!
:thumb:

Goldflinger 09-21-2011 01:50 PM

That food looks awesome! I bet the dead plant and animals don't know what they were cooked on :-) Glad you saved some coin for most likely the same results!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.