The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Orchard Wood (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116114)

nmayeux 09-12-2011 09:40 AM

Orchard Wood

Recently, I had a discussion with a fellow Brethren talking about fruit woods, and we were talking about where to find. My buddy had stated that he wouldn't get his wood from a working orchard as these trees are regularly sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. Are any of you like minded, or have any input on this matter?

Pyle's BBQ 09-12-2011 09:46 AM

So does he eat fruit from these orchards? I wouldn't worry about the pesticides. They degrade over time. That is why the need to be reapplied. If the wood is well seasoned there should be very little residue to worry about.

Randbo 09-12-2011 09:55 AM

Give me a break! Now I have to look for organic fruit wood! I better get out my hazmat suit if I want to walk through an orchard.

NRA4Life 09-12-2011 09:57 AM

Absolutely don't use any of that wood. Send it all to me, especially if it is pecan. I will dispose of it properly so nobody gets poisoned.

caseydog 09-12-2011 10:06 AM

So, where would fruit wood come from, if not a working orchard? Does anyone grow fruit trees to cut up for smoke wood?

It seems to me that any fruit wood you buy is bound to come from commercial orchards.

CD

99ways2die 09-12-2011 10:15 AM

Do we have anyone with solid facts/evidence on this topic?

I'm not going to swing either way on the topic, but I also have a 1 year old daughter and would like to know more when it comes to this, as she is (and will be) fed Q for many, many years to come.

Warthog 09-12-2011 10:46 AM

Oh NO, My offset is infested with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
Damn apple wood. :mad2:

nmayeux 09-12-2011 11:11 AM

I have been getting most of my wood from wild trees (cherry, hickory), ornamentals in neighborhoods, or abandoned orchards (peach, pecan, and apple). I do buy into the degradation over time theory, but just don't know enough about the subject.

Seachaser 09-12-2011 11:17 AM

If you know any loggers or that go to your church, they have a wealth of info on getting wood. Someone that hunts usually wants certain trees cut off their hunting club. We have several hickories and oaks fall on our hunting club roads every year.

Pyle's BBQ 09-12-2011 12:26 PM

I sent a question to Iowa State Extension's Horticulture department. I'll post the results if they can find any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el_matt 09-12-2011 12:35 PM

I grew up on an almond farm. We've used almond wood as a source for heat and flavor for as long as I can remember. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with me or any of my family members, although I'm sure some folks would disagree!

Matt

Theboz1419 09-12-2011 12:57 PM

im pretty sure most trees have bark that protects the wood from any chemicals

Wampus 09-12-2011 03:03 PM

I live adjacent to an apple orchard and get wood from there all the time. I get mine from the piles of trimmings and/or storm damage. I never gave pesticides a lot of thought, but I'd agree that if they didn't degrade over time, they wouldn't have to spray regularly to reapply it.

I also agree that most fruitwoods these days come from some large orchard. Noone raises fruit trees for the wood!

nmayeux 09-12-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theboz1419 (Post 1785656)
im pretty sure most trees have bark that protects the wood from any chemicals

Yeah, but I burn the bark...

nmayeux 09-12-2011 04:50 PM

I guess the question should be more about best practices for the best product possible. What is actually sprayed, and does it have health/taste impact?