The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thermometers (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113857)

RevZiLLa 08-16-2011 12:22 AM

Thermometers
 
I can't see spending big bucks for a thermometer when I can get one of these to measure internal meat temps quickly.

$5.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/instant...ter-95382.html

Or one of these to measure pit temps.

$3.59

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tayl...abber+Campaign

$8.62

Amazon.com: King Kooker SI1 8-Inch Deep Fry Thermometer: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416U9jW9S%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@416U9jW9S%2BL

JMSetzler 08-16-2011 12:41 AM

There are always 'adequate' and 'luxurious' options. There are also some inbetween.

NorCal Q Man 08-16-2011 12:59 AM

I can. But I make a lot of money so...

LVBBQMan 08-16-2011 01:34 AM

My experience is that digital thermometers are more accurate than their bi-metal counterparts. They are also easier to calibrate. finally, I like the quicker reading that you get from the digitals. Not to mention that many of the digitals will transmit temperature signal to a remote readout display. That is nice when you are standing by the pit in 100 degree plus summer weather and would like to go somewhere cool but still be able to monitor your temperature. The same can be said for smoking in sub freezing winter weather. For all of those reasons I think they are worth the extra money. That does not say the job cannot be done with an inexpensive local readout bi-metallic thermometer of the type you show.

RevZiLLa 08-16-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVBBQMan (Post 1752053)
My experience is that digital thermometers are more accurate than their bi-metal counterparts. They are also easier to calibrate. finally, I like the quicker reading that you get from the digitals. Not to mention that many of the digitals will transmit temperature signal to a remote readout display. That is nice when you are standing by the pit in 100 degree plus summer weather and would like to go somewhere cool but still be able to monitor your temperature. The same can be said for smoking in sub freezing winter weather. For all of those reasons I think they are worth the extra money. That does not say the job cannot be done with an inexpensive local readout bi-metallic thermometer of the type you show.

The first link for the $5.99 thermometer is a digital instant read that quickly does the job of items costing 10 times the price. Sadly, they only come in black...

The next two links are for spring operated units that measure pit temp. They are much cheaper than most non-digital pit temp thermometers (also spring operated) and they have longer probes too.

The remote thermometers are convenient and I have used mine a lot for monitoring meat temps. Now that I know my processes well, I seldom need it for monitoring the meat, but may want to stick it into a potato to monitor pit temps. It would be great if it had two probes, but I got it years ago and don't think that was an option then.

Don't get me wrong, toys are fun, but a lot of guys on here are about saving money and still getting great Q.

uproar90 08-16-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevZiLLa (Post 1752058)
The first link for the $5.99 thermometer is a digital instant read that quickly does the job of items costing 10 times the price. Sadly, they only come in black... ...

Serious question... How quick is 'instant'?

I've bought a few of those exact same model; smallish medallion style digi-thermo claiming to be instant.

I've never had one give even 'quick' results. The last one I bought actually took 90 seconds to come up to temp when measured against another therm already @ temp.

@ that price, I'd buy 4 or 5 to keep in the kitchen and around the BBQ stuffs, but only if they were true 'quick read' and gave accurate temps within 6-10 seconds.

RevZiLLa 08-16-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uproar90 (Post 1752060)
Serious question... How quick is 'instant'?

I've bought a few of those exact same model; smallish medallion style digi-thermo claiming to be instant.

I've never had one give even 'quick' results. The last one I bought actually took 90 seconds to come up to temp when measured against another therm already @ temp.

@ that price, I'd buy 4 or 5 to keep in the kitchen and around the BBQ stuffs, but only if they were true 'quick read' and gave accurate temps within 6-10 seconds.

I haven't timed it, but it is less than 10 and more than 3 seconds. It reads quickest when the probe is deeper in the meat. The downsides are smaller display and you have to be careful not to immerse the head when cleaning. After 4 or 5 years, when it needs a new battery, just toss it.

On edit: I tried it in ice water and it took more like 15 seconds.

NRA4Life 08-16-2011 05:58 AM

You get what you pay for. Good luck with that.

El Lobo 08-16-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRA4Life (Post 1752083)
You get what you pay for. Good luck with that.

I agree.

Side-by-side you may get accurate temps compared to high-quality models (Thermapen, Maverick, etc). When you spend hours cooking something and find out your crappy 5 dollar thermometer just gave up the ghost and you've overcooked your brisket, you'll see why many here save a little and buy quality units.

That's just me justifying paying 90 bucks for my Thermapen Rev. My wife still thinks I'm... :crazy:

Fatback Joe 08-16-2011 07:51 AM

When you have 50 pieces of chicken going and you need to give them a "quick check", that extra speed is worth the money.

If the cheaper one takes just 5 seconds longer, that is an extra 4+ minutes if you check them all.


In any case, if it suits your needs and budget, then more power to you. :becky:

Johnny_Crunch 08-16-2011 08:10 AM

I don't buy tools from HF either, you get what you pay for......... Not to mention I take pride in buying things that aren't made in China.

5-0 BBQ 08-16-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Q Man (Post 1752042)
I can. But I make a lot of money so...

You need to visit our store..lol Sorry I could not resist.

Cook 08-16-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevZiLLa (Post 1752058)
Don't get me wrong, toys are fun, but a lot of guys on here are about saving money and still getting great Q.

If that were the case, you wouldn't be spending the $6 in the first place. Save the $$$ and cook w/o the therm.

Theboz1419 08-16-2011 09:16 AM

from my experince of buying every cheap Thermometer I could find, I spent more money on buying all the cheap Thermometers I could find.

That ended when I bought my ET-73, 3 years ago and it still works as the day I first used it.

What you dont realize is that you will spend more money on 5 dollars thermometers then you will on a 50+ dollar thermometer over the long run.

Seachaser 08-16-2011 09:26 AM

Academy Sports has a pretty good medium price selection of thermometers. Around 10 bucks for a 3 inch pit style. Also, if you have a kitchen type outlet store near you, they have a bunch. You can find them at propane outlets, hardware stores, wally world, and occasionally grocery stores.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.