The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Suggestions for a good pit temperature probe? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113150)

RedRyderBBQ 08-07-2011 09:12 AM

Suggestions for a good pit temperature probe?
 
Hey,

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a thermometer that just measures the pit temperature? I already have one with a food probe, don't need the 2 in 1 like the maverick.

Thanks

Smoked 08-07-2011 10:12 AM

Are you looking for a remote type of temp reading on the pit? I've got 2 Maverick's (ET72 and ET732). Comes in handy when you're smoking two different pieces of meat and you have the probe for the pit temp and can monitor remotely.

My recommendation is to get a ET732. Otherwise, you can get a dial type, but you'll have to open the lid to check the temp.

RedRyderBBQ 08-07-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoked (Post 1740438)
Are you looking for a remote type of temp reading on the pit? I've got 2 Maverick's (ET72 and ET732). Comes in handy when you're smoking two different pieces of meat and you have the probe for the pit temp and can monitor remotely.

My recommendation is to get a ET732. Otherwise, you can get a dial type, but you'll have to open the lid to check the temp.

I have an iQue110 and want a pit thermo to check to see if my pit is being kept at what the ique is set for. The dial on my wsm is off by 30 degrees from what the ique says it is at. So i was wondering if there was a dedicated pit probe thermometer around rather than something like the maverick which does both meat and pit temp for $60

redneck allstar 08-07-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRyderBBQ (Post 1740487)
The dial on my wsm is off by 30 degrees from what the ique says it is at.


Not sure if you were aware of this but most dial thermometers are adjustable. There is a small nut on the back of the dial that can be turned in either direction to adjust it. Boil a pot of water and let it sit for about 5 min. If its not at 212 degrees adjust it. 212 degrees is the peak temperature for water. Its also worth noting that there could be a difference in temperature from your cooking area and where your thermometer takes it reading. 30 degrees difference seems like a lot though.

jalon 08-07-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck allstar (Post 1740499)
212 degrees is the peak temperature for water.

Doesn't water boil at a lower temperature if you go up in altitude? (like Denver)

Just wondering, I think everyone in this thread is relatively low in altitude, but I know my old man has to adjust recipes due to altitude (he lives in W. Colorado).

Great point about the thermo adjustment though...might have to check the one on my UDS.

Jalon

Chef Jim 08-07-2011 12:02 PM

I like the ET 732, Steve at 5-0 BBQ has them.

redneck allstar 08-07-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalon (Post 1740525)
Doesn't water boil at a lower temperature if you go up in altitude? (like Denver)

Just wondering, I think everyone in this thread is relatively low in altitude, but I know my old man has to adjust recipes due to altitude (he lives in W. Colorado).

Great point about the thermo adjustment though...might have to check the one on my UDS.

Jalon

Good point!

Yes it does. 212 degrees is at sea level. Im not sure how much it varies upon elevation. I believe that boiling temp goes down the higher in elevation you go. It goes up the lower you go.

RedRyderBBQ 08-07-2011 12:06 PM

thats a great idea, after my pork shoulder is done smoking I will have to check that out

Theboz1419 08-07-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck allstar (Post 1740540)
Good point!

Yes it does. 212 degrees is at sea level. Im not sure how much it varies upon elevation. I believe that boiling temp goes down the higher in elevation you go. It goes up the lower you go.

A quick google search with "your Town" and Water boiling temp will give you a tempeture of water at any given place.

Example:

620 feet (Chicago's elevation), it boils at 211
degrees; but 1,450 feet up (the top of Sears Tower), at 208 degrees; in Denver, 202 degrees.

Bigdog 08-07-2011 04:45 PM

I use the Nu-temp stuck down the exhuast pipe to the middle of pit and run through a potato. Mine has 3 channels so one is the pit and the other 2 go into the big meats.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.