The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   SlamDunk Productions (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Brisket slicer - First look (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111704)

Slamdunkpro 07-19-2011 11:12 PM

Brisket slicer - First look

After 5 months of development, Wusthof delivered the prototype of my design for along brisket slicer last week and I had a chance to test it at Que and Cruz

Here's the pic.

http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-cont...er-profile.jpg

It's a 34 cm (14") thin slicer with double hollow grinds and a radiused blade. For all the gory details pop over to the Aporkalypsenow Web page.

In action
http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-cont...er-slicing.jpg

No price point or availability date has been set at this point but it won't be long.

JimmyDAL 07-20-2011 06:05 AM

Nice!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-20-2011 06:34 AM

Looks great. I want one.

How did they seek your input?

Smiter Q 07-20-2011 06:45 AM

Quality item.

Muzzlebrake 07-20-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 1716854)
Looks great. I want one.

How did they seek your input?

^+1

how did you get them to design a knife for you? Do they have a custom shop or something?

Warthog 07-20-2011 07:37 AM

Impressive looking blade.

Slamdunkpro 07-20-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake (Post 1716876)
^+1

how did you get them to design a knife for you? Do they have a custom shop or something?

I approached them with the design; I cold called Wusthof in Germany and pitched it as a untapped market oppurtunity. They were very receptive.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-20-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 1716964)
I approached them with the design; I cold called Wusthof in Germany and pitched it as a untapped market oppurtunity. They were very receptive.

Impressive initiative on your part!

Westexbbq 07-20-2011 09:37 AM

^^^^^^^^^
ditto that,
nice going!

huminie 07-20-2011 10:00 AM

Could you tell us why this is better than a more traditional 12 inch slicer?

Convince me I need one. :becky:

Slamdunkpro 07-20-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huminie (Post 1717030)
Could you tell us why this is better than a more traditional 12 inch slicer?

Convince me I need one. :becky:

Well,,,,,,

It's 2 inches longer than than a 12 so you can get through a brisket flat in one draw cut. The advantage to the radius is that the whole blade edge isn’t engaging the object to be sliced at the same time allowing for even less drag, yet still making a continuous cut with no “saw marking”.

The other plus to the radius design on the blade is that when you make a draw cut (pull the blade toward you) the physiology of your arm causes your elbow to lift up, causing you to change the angle of attack of the blade. On a straight traditional slicer you either end up cutting with the very tip of the blade or break your wrist to allow the blade to remain flat, reducing your leverage. The radius blade allows you to maintain maximum leverage by not having to break your wrist while the cutting edge still tracks parallel to the food.

How's that?

deguerre 07-20-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 1717043)
How's that?

Why, brilliant, I'd say.

Kenny Rogers 07-20-2011 10:45 AM

Very nice! Gotta like a specialty knife! The only thing I'd say it's missing is a slicing guide to get your slices exactly uniform! :)
Way to market!

Ron_L 07-20-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 1717043)
Well,,,,,,

It's 2 inches longer than than a 12 so you can get through a brisket flat in one draw cut. The advantage to the radius is that the whole blade edge isn’t engaging the object to be sliced at the same time allowing for even less drag, yet still making a continuous cut with no “saw marking”.

The other plus to the radius design on the blade is that when you make a draw cut (pull the blade toward you) the physiology of your arm causes your elbow to lift up, causing you to change the angle of attack of the blade. On a straight traditional slicer you either end up cutting with the very tip of the blade or break your wrist to allow the blade to remain flat, reducing your leverage. The radius blade allows you to maintain maximum leverage by not having to break your wrist while the cutting edge still tracks parallel to the food.

How's that?

I was wondering the same thing. thanks for the explanation. I'm using a 14" straight slicer now and I like the length. I guess i really didn't notice that I ended up using the tip of the blade near the end of the stroke. I'll have to pay closer attention. Keep me posted on the availability. I'm always interested in new knives :-D

monty3777 07-20-2011 11:04 AM

Looks neat. I can't wait to try one! This could be good for their business, especially if the edge can hold the kind of shaprness that allows for a one pull cut. I'd be interested to hear how it holds the edge. Can you keep giving us updates? :)