The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Competition Ribs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107136)

wormdrink67 05-23-2011 03:17 PM

Competition Ribs
 
Continuously getting my @ss handed to me in ribs at kcbs comps. Anyone willing to offer advice on what they're using that's doing well I'd greatly appreciate it. 3 comps and haven't scored over 155, don't have the slightest clue as to what I'm doing wrong. Appearance scores are good, taste is what's hurting me and as with any kcbs comp, when your taste is suffering, the tenderness scores are down also. I'm using a variation of the 3-1-1 method at 230 degrees on a backwoods party. Tried a couple different rubs, couple different sauces, can't hit the magic numbers with any of them. Again, I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.

Sledneck 05-23-2011 03:20 PM

slabs.com amazing glaze

Jacked UP BBQ 05-23-2011 03:35 PM

the amazing glaze is amazing

Sawdustguy 05-23-2011 03:57 PM

Forget all the methods, 3-2-1, 2-2-1 etc., just forget them all. Simply use a good commercial rub and sauce and cook them until the bone pulls back 1/4" and the rack bends at a 60 degree angle.

Frank Sacco 05-23-2011 03:59 PM

Make one change at a time. Don't change every aspect of your ribs each time you don't score well. Have a base line rub and sauce that you use. Tweak as you see fit to your pallet. Then let the judges make their decision. Gotta start some where!

Ford 05-23-2011 03:59 PM

assuming you're doing st louis, you are probably undercooking them. 250 for 6 hours with 2 hours in foil.

Taste - do they taste like spicy candy on a stick? If not you can add rub and heat and add lots of brown sugar, honey and butter when wrapping. It may take you 3 or 4 cooks to get it down but then you'll see higher scores. Of course the ribs taste like S*&T when you eat more than a couple of bites.

wormdrink67 05-23-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1650886)
assuming you're doing st louis, you are probably undercooking them. 250 for 6 hours with 2 hours in foil.

Taste - do they taste like spicy candy on a stick? If not you can add rub and heat and add lots of brown sugar, honey and butter when wrapping. It may take you 3 or 4 cooks to get it down but then you'll see higher scores. Of course the ribs taste like S*&T when you eat more than a couple of bites.

I'm cooking back ribs that are trimmed down to around 2.0lbs....I can assure you they aren't under done, possibly over done, but not under and I assumed that they tasted exactly as you said "candy on stick"....the judges just don't seem to be tasting the same thing I am. Guess its time to change to st. louis, that what everyone seems to be cooking.

Ford 05-23-2011 04:35 PM

back ribs - start at 2-1-1 at 250 and tweak from there. Sounds like it's the rub or rub/sauce combo. Try a commercail rub and sauce from the same company - smoking guns, slabs, rib rangers, etc. of course add honey to the sauce.

Cook 05-23-2011 04:48 PM

Take a judging class.

wormdrink67 05-23-2011 04:51 PM

Cook- I'm cbj #60558, it's also on my signature. The judging class taught me about as much about how I should be cooking bbq as my first grade teacher....

Sledneck 05-23-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrink67 (Post 1650956)
Cook- I'm cbj #60558, it's also on my signature. The judging class taught me about as much about how I should be cooking bbq as my first grade teacher....

hahahahahha

quarters69 05-23-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook (Post 1650949)
Take a judging class.

Taking a judging class will not help you with your scores. I took a class and taste was never even brought up in the class, every pallet is different.

Sledneck 05-23-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Sacco (Post 1650885)
Make one change at a time. Don't change every aspect of your ribs each time you don't score well. Have a base line rub and sauce that you use. Tweak as you see fit to your pallet. Then let the judges make their decision. Gotta start some where!

one rib win and suddenly your an expert, pffffft :twisted:

Fishiest1 05-23-2011 05:44 PM

Any chance it might be too much wood or the type? Everything else you mentioned seems to put you pretty close to the spot.

wormdrink67 05-23-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishiest1 (Post 1651042)
Any chance it might be too much wood or the type? Everything else you mentioned seems to put you pretty close to the spot.

I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess you could be right. I'm using mesquite, so maybe I'll change the wood and see how that goes. Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.