The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Rub suggestions for bulk use (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106924)

HB-BBQ 05-20-2011 03:15 PM

Rub suggestions for bulk use

I need some suggestions on what to do for bulk amounts of rub. I buy a few Brethern rubs in bulk packs but I'm having trouble with cost management once I factor in the freight etc. Do you guys make your own or is there a better way thanks?

chambersuac 05-20-2011 04:25 PM

How close to Ventura are you? Simply Marvelous is there - you might be able to pick up orders and save on shipping.

fwhittle 05-23-2011 12:21 AM

We make our rubs. Restaurant Depot is our source for bulk base spices.

Crash 05-24-2011 04:53 AM

Hit up Ryan Chester of http://therubco.com. He's a Brethren and I'm sure he'll take good care of a fellow Left Coast guy.

fireman_pete 05-24-2011 11:05 AM

We sell our rub in bulk 5# jugs and could even do bulk 25# boxes if needed.

We are located in Temecula. Also Ryan with the Rub Co is close to you as is Simply Marveous in Venture.

Pete

Pete's Firehouse BBQ
Temecula, CA

Garth57 05-24-2011 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=fireman_pete;1651805]We sell our rub in bulk 5# jugs and could even do bulk 25# boxes if needed.

Pete,

Can you PM me cost of 5# rubs? Brisket and pork.

MattG 05-24-2011 07:34 PM

We make our own.

Bbq Bubba 05-24-2011 09:23 PM

I can put you into some quality bulk rub for reasonable prices! Shoot me a PM.

Trucky1008 05-24-2011 10:54 PM

I buy Smoking Guns Hot in #25 box for $100 plus delivery. Delivery is $15-20.

jbrink01 05-25-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trucky1008 (Post 1652523)
I buy Smoking Guns Hot in #25 box for $100 plus delivery. Delivery is $15-20.

I do something similar with Yardbird.

HB-BBQ 05-25-2011 03:54 PM

Thank you to all who posted in this thread it really helps. For those who don't know me personally I am new to catering and still finding my way.

PorkQPine 05-25-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB-BBQ (Post 1647949)
I need some suggestions on what to do for bulk amounts of rub. I buy a few Brethern rubs in bulk packs but I'm having trouble with cost management once I factor in the freight etc. Do you guys make your own or is there a better way thanks?

Are you catering and need a bunch or are you competing. In either case flavor is more important than pricing. I know that freight is a pain in the a-- but if it is what you want then either try to do it yourself or pay the price.

I make my own because my name is on the line for catering customers and competition. There are lots of commercial rubs out there on the West Coast that are good so order samples from them all until you find what you want.

Cook 05-26-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB-BBQ (Post 1653338)
I am new to catering and still finding my way.

I suggest making your own. I can't imagine you're so busy that you need volumes of rub greater than you can comfortably make.

If you are, congratulations!

Dr_KY 05-26-2011 12:21 PM

I'm all about the Spicewine range for catering baby!

meatpunk 06-04-2011 05:14 PM

I've been making my own rubs for home cooking (usual load 2 butts, one brisket, then four racks of St Louis spares) for about ten years now, never bothered with any commercial rubs. Now that I am thinking about doing larger cooks and maybe going commercial I am wondering about my rubs but I hope to keep experimentation to a minimum. Maybe you all can help me with a few of the early decisions.

1) I always use freshly cracked black pepper. Anybody know if that is worth the effort?

2) I use a different rub for ribs than for butts. Does it really matter?

3) Chile powder, does anybody care? I used to make my own by grinding up dried chiles, toasting and grinding cumin, what a pain. Lots easier to just buy McCormick's. And, if it is just cayenne and cumin and salt, which are already in the recipe for the rub, then why bother?

I guess I am hoping that some grizzled veteran will tell me yeah, all those fancy rubs are bs, just use salt and pepper and sugar and cumin and cayenne out of those biga55 plastic jars from Costco. I am going to do at least one cook with some barebones rubs but I hope to get a little advice first