The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2 vents on weber lid for uds (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115075)

Pappy 08-30-2011 07:34 PM

2 vents on weber lid for uds

My weber top UDS has 1 dial vent with 4 holes. I'm thinking a 2nd. vent would help it out. I have seen other that added a 2nd four hole vent.
Wondering how that works compared to the single vent.

A 2" bung has more area than the 4 holes in the weber dial vent.

Also I have heard of some that have built their flat top UDS with eight 1" holes.

I'm thinking temps would respond faster it I allowed more exhaust.

Feel free to express you opinion. Everyone has one.

colonel00 08-30-2011 07:36 PM

I have thought about this in the past as this would possible even out the air flow a bit so it wasn't just drawing towards the one vent. However, I have never had an issue with just using the single vent so I figured I would not risk jacking up the lid to install a second.

Pappy 08-30-2011 07:43 PM

You could always do half & half.

mbshop 08-30-2011 07:46 PM

some have done that to their wsm's and were happy with the results. don't see any negatives to doing it. let us know.

colonel00 08-30-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1770312)
You could always do half & half.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbshop (Post 1770317)
some have done that to their wsm's and were happy with the results. don't see any negatives to doing it. let us know.

Yeah, if you are confident in your skills to pull it off without ruining the lid then go for it. One my main UDS I have already flattened and bent the lip around the drum and did not want to jack with that again in case I didn't drill the holes correctly and the lid had issues.

Pappy 08-30-2011 07:58 PM

I guess I will have to make my own vent dial or get one from a used grill. Weber does not list them for sale on weber.com

Carbon 08-30-2011 08:08 PM

I'm adding a second set of vents on my dome lid for doing chicken.
I'm not sure which way to go yet. I've seen it done a couple of different ways, either a bung hole or 4 smaller holes.

Pappy 08-30-2011 08:19 PM

Where can i but a weber kettle vent wheel?

Where can I buy a 4 hole aluminum vent wheel for a 22.5 weber kettle?

Weber does not show them for sale on their website. :confused:

SuperQue 08-30-2011 09:13 PM

I think the general rule of thumb is twice as many exhaust holes as intake. So if you have 3 1inch intakes you should have 6 exhaust holes. With the weber lid vent and cover, if you wanted to duplicate that you could drill the same hole config then cut a piece of sheet magnet to mimic the original vent cover.

pman777 08-30-2011 09:27 PM

I'll add a bit of input here.

Typically the air intakes are 3/4" ID not 1". The original drilled hole is a 1" hole meant to accept a 3/4 pipe nipple.

Norco somehow or other came up with the 3ea 3/4" holes and that size and number of holes has pretty much been accepted as standard procedure. I have the Norco style holes on mine and I can get my heat up to 325 with a 10" diffuser plate with only 2 holes wide open. With the third hole open I imagine I could go as high as 350 or more.

Anyway, Norco also claims and others agree that 8ea 1/2" holes are sufficient for the top exhaust. I haven't done the math but I'd guess the 8ea 1/2" holes are a comparable or a larger surface area than 3ea 3/4" holes.

I do know that one Weber vent has 4ea 7/8" holes. I did the math on this and I know the 4ea 7/8" holes is a larger surface area than Norco's suggested 8ea 1/2" holes.

So to sum this up, if you think more/bigger exhaust is going to improve your smoking I don't think it will. But it may create a more even heat disbursement and reduce any hot spot you may have below the one vent wheel. Part of Norco's reasoning for the 8ea 1/2" holes was to spread out the heat exhaust, lessening the potential for hot spots caused by the heat exhaust focusing towards one vent.

Hope this makes sense.

Carbon, I could be wrong but I don't think adding more exhaust will raise your heat for chicken. Raising the heat requires more O2 getting on your fire or less diffuser spreading out the heat.

Carbon 08-30-2011 09:28 PM

Those extra vents on the dome are needed when you go full throttle on the intake. Let that drum breathe....Ahhh.....

Pappy 08-30-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1770432)
8ea 1/2" holes are sufficient for the top exhaust. I haven't done the math but I imagine the 8ea 1/2" holes are a comparable surface area to 3ea 3/4" holes.

I do know that one Weber vent has 4ea 7/8" holes. I did the math on this and I know the 4ea 7/8" holes is a larger surface area than Norco's suggested 8ea 1/2" holes.

Again I was mistaken. I thought people were using eight 1" holes instead of 1/2". That would be much less. Right now I'm just toying with the idea of weber 2 vents.

pman777 08-30-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 1770435)
Those extra vents on the dome are needed when you go full throttle on the intake. Let that drum breathe....Ahhh.....

I've never been above 350 degrees and only when I seasoned it. 350 was not yet full throttle either.

Carbon 08-30-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1770457)
I've never been above 350 degrees and only when I seasoned it. 350 was not yet full throttle either.

Perhaps I don't have enough fully lit coals in the basket when I'm doing chicken, for instance. I'm having to keep the dome lid slightly ajar to stay at 350F. :)

pman777 08-30-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 1770473)
Perhaps I don't have enough fully lit coals in the basket when I'm doing chicken, for instance. I'm having to keep the dome lid slightly ajar to stay at 350F. :)

Are you saying you have all 3 vents wide open and 350 is it?