• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot Sauces - Slap Ya Mama

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Started a new thread rather than hijack the rabbit gumbo thread:

Joshw said:
I've tried a ton of hot sauce's. For an all purpose one, Slap Ya Mamma is the best IMO. Not as vinegary as most.

Everywhere that I work, I start a "Hot Sauce Bar". I buy 4-6 hot sauces and a tray to place them on near the break room. They generally take on a life of their own as people start contributing their favorites.

On my last project, we started a scoreboard where people could rank and rate the sauces. We had approximately 50 people on the project from amny backgrounds: Hispanics, Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Greek, Russian, etc.. There was lots of activity at the sauce bar. Slap Ya Mama was the runaway favorite. We were going through a bottle every 3-4 weeks, whereas others lasted months.

I recommend it.

Do y'all have any other favorites?

David

I just have to add this. I'm pretty much a Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce guy. I'm not big on flaming heat. Anyhow, someone at work kept stealing my Crystal from the break room refrigerator so I bought some 1 Million Scoville extract and laced a bottle. That bottle disappeared too but the thievery stopped. :biggrin1:

Have always liked this. They make an XXXX too.

Melindas-XXXtra-Hot-Pepper-Sauce__71330.1472756501.jpg

I just have to add this. I'm pretty much a Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce guy. I'm not big on flaming heat. Anyhow, someone at work kept stealing my Crystal from the break room refrigerator so I bought some 1 Million Scoville extract and laced a bottle. That bottle disappeared too but the thievery stopped. :biggrin1:

You sly dog!

This is not an original at all, but I have been enjoying Zatarains hotsauce. It isnt too spicy, but I like the zing compared to some others. This one is one of my hotter favorites. I found it after trying 20 or so at a Pepper Palace in Branson

Last edited:

LOL, Way to go William, I love it.

Many years ago I work on programmable logic circuits at a food processing plant. The forklift driver would take items like cookies and such out of peoples lunches. I opened oreo cookies and hollowed out the center of the filling and placed cayenne pepper inside the remaining ring of filling and carefully reassembled them.

BUT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD.....

SS, what a great way to share your favorite sauces and get input along with rankings on multiple sauce products. KUDOS!!!

IamMadMan said:
BUT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD.....

SS, what a great way to share your favorite sauces and get input along with rankings on multiple sauce products. KUDOS!!!

I've done this wherever I have worked. My initial investment is about $15-$20. Other people usually start contributing and before long we'll have 20+ sauces.

It's s cheap teambuilding exercise.

At my last project, one guy complained that he didn't like hot sauces and thought it was stupid. The next day someone had added a bottle of Rolaids with his name on it.

I'm looking on Amazon and there is Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper sauce, or just Hot Sauce. Which one did you like? Hoping to order a combo that has one of each but the reviews vary on what is actually received.

I'm a fan of the "Dave's Insanity" line of hot sauces! So many good choices and some that are "arm sweating" over the top.

-D

I like the flavor of good peppers and the sauce they produce, not the heat.
I remember one of my Dad's favorites was Pickapeppa sauce and homemade chow-chow.

Depends on what I'm putting it on. Secret Aardvark is a nice mild sauce. Pex Peppers, Lucky Dog, Hotline Pepper Products are my go to for most of what I eat and I generally take those 3 camping as well. Some of those will catch people off guard as they can be pretty hot.

Glad you reminded me as I need to put in an order today for different hot sauces.

I've got a large collection of hot sauces and have a monthly hot sauce subscription.

Of the dozens and dozens brands I've tried, Queen Majesty in my opinion produces the best sauces. They are complex, well balanced, and have a good amount of heat.

I also have a few sauces I make. So far a roasted pineapple habanero and lychee scotch bonnet have been crowd favorites. I've found making them sweeter and letting thing settle down for a few months gives the sauces more depth.

Being from the Carolinas I love Texas Pete. Frank's is pretty good too. I am very interested in this Slap Yo Mama. I have never heard of it, but I love a good hot sauce. Am I the only one that brags about how well it goes with brown gravy? Also, I love a hot sauce with good flavor, but I don't want it soooo hot that is messes up the flavor.

Beefer, where did you find a hot sauce monthly subscription?

SweetHeat, it is the Hot Ones Box through Heatonist. It originated as a youtube show where guests are interviewed as they eat increasingly hot wings, but they've branched off to curated & homemade sauces. They do a lot of work with Smoking Ed Currie, the creator of the reaper. I've got a lot of insanely hot stuff from them (mostly different versions of their own Last Dab sauce), but everything is extremely good. So far there have been no bad sauces.

I'll have to check it out. That's a really clever setup that you do, especially with the ranking system.

I wasn't really one for hot sauces, till I went on the Bourbon Trail. We all picked up bottles of Wild Turkey habanero sauce. It's not really that hot, but it has a pretty solid flavor.

Recently I started watching the youtube show HotOnes where wings are coated in progressively hotter sauces, and it's pretty amusing to see. I have some Ghost Pepper and Carolina Reaper sauces that I use when I make smoked cheezits for some pepper heads.

Back