The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   120 Gallon Reverse flow smoker build LOTS OF ?s &photos (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149294)

NRA4Life 12-11-2012 01:12 PM

Dave, looking good so far. Looks a lot like the tank I used: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140159

davefan360 12-11-2012 07:52 PM

yes it is hard cutting a straight line with the grinder. but that is all we have so we make due. How wide does the strip around the door edge need to be? thanks for the tips and advice.

fatcliff77 12-11-2012 08:00 PM

Great build, but next time, please wear a face sheild and hearing protection when you are using a grinder......

davefan360 12-11-2012 10:53 PM

ok will do on the face mask.

Pappy 12-12-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefan360 (Post 2294735)
yes it is hard cutting a straight line with the grinder. but that is all we have so we make due.

If you don't cut all the way through, make several slow passes when cutting, you can get a pretty good straight cut.

How wide does the strip around the door edge need to be?

We used 1 1/4" flat bar. 5/8" overlap each way.

FYI
The headphone type ear protection sells for about $4.00 and they work great.

Bluehawg 12-12-2012 09:30 AM

When using a 1/16" thick cut-off wheel on an angle grinder, you can "score" the line you draw with a marker by lightly touching it to the metal and letting it trench in a bit. After you have done this a few times you can allow it to cut a little deeper and the grinder blade itself will keep your line straight along the mark you have made. Not sure if this reads like I want it to or not but if'n you were standing next to me and I could show you what I'm talking about you would understand. I teach 15 year old youngins little tricks like that every day. I've got some freshmen girls in my first year shop class that can freehand cut a straight line with a angle grinder that looks like it was cut using CNC.

Mark M 12-12-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluehawg (Post 2295057)
When using a 1/16" thick cut-off wheel on an angle grinder, you can "score" the line you draw with a marker by lightly touching it to the metal and letting it trench in a bit. After you have done this a few times you can allow it to cut a little deeper and the grinder blade itself will keep your line straight along the mark you have made. Not sure if this reads like I want it to or not but if'n you were standing next to me and I could show you what I'm talking about you would understand. I teach 15 year old youngins little tricks like that every day. I've got some freshmen girls in my first year shop class that can freehand cut a straight line with a angle grinder that looks like it was cut using CNC.

That is excellent advice. I'm going to have to use a grinder too so your tip is appreciated. Thanks Bluehawg.

Pappy 12-12-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluehawg (Post 2295057)
When using a 1/16" thick cut-off wheel on an angle grinder, you can "score" the line you draw with a marker by lightly touching it to the metal and letting it trench in a bit. After you have done this a few times you can allow it to cut a little deeper and the grinder blade itself will keep your line straight along the mark you have made.

That's what I was trying to say.

DownHomeQue 12-12-2012 12:00 PM

Great Looking Build!!! :clap: Keep on Trucking!!:-D

big brother smoke 12-12-2012 12:11 PM

Nice build!

Bluehawg 12-12-2012 01:26 PM

I usually do about 8-12 inches at a time when scoring with the 1/16" cut off wheel that way when you go to actually cut, you can take a bigger bite out of the total length you have to go and it kinda helps me psychologically if I can TELL by looking I've made some progress:mrgreen:. You could try to cut it freehand without scoring first if you have a super steady hand but even with a super steady hand all it takes is a fraction of a degree off and your line will start veering one way or another off your mark and it is nearly impossible to get back in line where you want to be without making a MESS of things. Much more forgiving and easy to make adjustments if you just score 12 or so inches and cut that and then score out another 12-14" inches or so and etc.

Triple T BBQ 12-12-2012 02:51 PM

When we did ours with the plasma cutter we tacked a piece of 1/8 steel to the tank and used it for a straight edge. No reason that would not work for a grinder. That also got reused as overlap to seal the joint later on.

davefan360 12-12-2012 09:18 PM

I like the score and then go deeper tip on the grinder. Stright lines were not too hard it was cutting out the hinges that took some time.today I Picked up 20ft of 1 1/4 wide flat stock for around the door of the smoker and the fire box. working on it most of the day tomorrow.

Militant83 12-12-2012 10:18 PM

Looks like you are off to a good start.

LoneStarMojo 12-13-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcliff77 (Post 2294737)
Great build, but next time, please wear a face sheild and hearing protection when you are using a grinder......

I know an ER nurse who had someone come in after a grinder blade shattered while he was grinding. thankfully he was wearing a face shield but they had to remover several chunks from one arm. Ouch.

BTW OP, your build is really coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing it wrap up and get that first smoke going :)