The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bad Ribs or Kingsford's Comp. Charcoal Sucks??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68811)

Burk504 09-12-2009 09:03 PM

Bad Ribs or Kingsford's Comp. Charcoal Sucks???

Has anyone ever cooked ribs just as you normally would, everything seemed fine and looked good but when you tasted them they were just awful? Happened to me today and I can't figure it out.

It doesn't seem that they were 'bacteria bad', because my son ate half a rack (he was so hungry he could eat dirt) and he isn't sick at all. Is it possible to just get a bad rack?

The only thing new in the entire process was I used Kingsford's new 'Competition' Charcoal for the first time. I have never used it before but bought it because they were out of lump at the grocery. Could that possibly put a bad taste in the meat?

landarc 09-12-2009 09:06 PM

Yes I have, and I have decided it could be either thing. I have most certainly purchased meat in cryo and found it was bad, got that yuck funk smell. I also bought a bag of charcoal this year that made ribs, pork shoulder, even steak taste bad. It is now in the compost pile.

capri man 09-12-2009 09:07 PM

i would not think so!!

BBQ Grail 09-12-2009 09:07 PM

Probably not! Sometimes you just get bad meat.

Earlier this week I bought some nice looking ribeyes. At least I thought they were. Cooked them just like I normally did and they just didn't taste right.

It happens. Were the ribs "enhanced?"

BBQ Grail 09-12-2009 09:09 PM

Introducing yourself with a post in "Cattle Call" probably would have stopped that from happening. :wink:

MountainMan 09-12-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

It happens. Were the ribs "enhanced?"
That's what I'd have to ask as well!

Burk504 09-12-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1024724)
Were the ribs "enhanced?"

The ribs were opened from cryopac last night, rubbed with a basic rub and stored in the fridge in a covered aluminum pan. No marinade or injections involved at all.

Thanks for the quick replies. BTW, I did just add a post to the Cattle Call as well...I hate it when I make newbie mistakes :-(

BBQ Grail 09-12-2009 09:36 PM

Do you still have the cryo? Does it have a label? Can you post of picture of it?

Burk504 09-12-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1024755)
Do you still have the cryo? Does it have a label? Can you post of picture of it?

I don't have the label anymore but I know the sell-by date was today. Anything else on the label thats valuable to pay attention to?

My wife is a real freak about the date on meats and is convinced we are all going to get sick tonight because I shouldn't have cut it so close. It smelled fine and in my mind if it ain't old and it don't stink....its good. Am I wrong?

BBQ Grail 09-12-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk504 (Post 1024760)
I don't have the label anymore but I know the sell-by date was today. Anything else on the label thats valuable to pay attention to?

My wife is a real freak about the date on meats and is convinced we are all going to get sick tonight because I shouldn't have cut it so close. It smelled fine and in my mind if it ain't old and it don't stink....its good. Am I wrong?

Did it say "enhanced" anywhere on the label? Did you buy them at Walmart?

Smell test is the best test for "bad" meat. So that's not likely the issue.

Burk504 09-12-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1024784)
Did it say "enhanced" anywhere on the label? Did you buy them at Walmart?

Ahhh...I thought 'enhanced' was a mystery bbq prep technique :-(.

I bought the ribs at Costco and have never had an issue with them before. Not sure if it said 'enhanced' or not. I take it that I should stay away from that?

Bushwacker 09-12-2009 11:36 PM

I read somewhere on here in a different thread, about someone using Kingsford Comp coal, that it gave there food the taste of Match lite and also smelled of lighter fluid. maybe a month ago.. Can't remember,, I'm Brain damaged, well a little anyway

Hugh Jorgan 09-13-2009 02:21 AM

I'm sorry about your ribs. I don't really have an opinion as to what made them turn out less than expected, to many variables. I just wanted to add....
IMHO, Kingsford Comp Chucks!!!

Tweedle 09-13-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan (Post 1024905)
.... I just wanted to add....
IMHO, Kingsford Comp Chucks!!!

+1
Coulda been the ribs it happened to me last week but my guess is the kingsford comp I have onlky used 1 bag it burns hotter than normal and it had a funky smell. My bag any way.....

tjus77 09-13-2009 06:19 AM

if they didn't smell and weren't slimy, I would blame it on the Kingsford comp.