The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket w/no fat cap? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63199)

Mtnsmoke 06-07-2009 10:40 PM

Brisket w/no fat cap?

Opened up meat order to find brisket trimmed down to the meat with no cap. Should I cook this like I normaly cook brisket or will I need to change strategy?

tntitan 06-07-2009 10:48 PM

i would wrap it in bacon to get some fat into the meat let us know how you do it .

BFoster 06-08-2009 08:50 PM

Seems to me that you have a flat. There are a ton of links on this forum on how to smoke it..but I'd guess, season like you would a full packer, and halve the time. Make sure to check how it's doing.

The Pros: Flats are easier to slice by far.

The Cons: Not much fat.

Smoke it 'n slice it. I'd guess about 8 hours.

BRBBQ 06-08-2009 08:54 PM

Pork I trim all the fat cap off, since I'm cooking low temp. I'd cook it to 160 and wrap with foil.

BFoster 06-08-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBBQ (Post 945636)
Pork I trim all the fat cap off, since I'm cooking low temp. I'd cook it to 160 and wrap with foil.

Dang, I missed something somewhere. How'd that point to pork? 160?

Meat Burner 06-08-2009 09:08 PM

This is about brisket...not pork.:rolleyes:

BFoster 06-08-2009 09:11 PM

I agree....I'm still thinking it's a flat. I have a harder time cooking flats right than full packers. I'll stand by what I said before...season, smoke for about half the time of a full...slice and enjoy. :-)

Frank Sacco 06-08-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFoster (Post 945631)
I'd guess about 8 hours.

Are you microwaving that brisket in 8 hours? I know I wouldn't give a time to someone without knowing meat weight and cooking temps.

BFoster 06-08-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Sacco (Post 945656)
Are you microwaving that brisket in 8 hours? I know I wouldn't give a time to someone without knowing meat weight and cooking temps.

Well, like I said..I'm guessing it's a flat. My full packers are done in about 13-15 hours. I said half the time....as a guess...at smoking temp...220-250ish..you have a better time or suggestion? If you'd like, I'll put a whole time-temp graph here.

BFoster 06-08-2009 09:27 PM

Oh, and...from the OP. ' Should I cook this like I normaly cook brisket or will I need to change strategy?' seemed like a question I could answer. He knows it's a brisket...I'm just giving my experience.

Jacked UP BBQ 06-08-2009 09:37 PM

No fat, I would boil it and make dog food.

CrimsonSmoke 06-08-2009 09:41 PM

Just cook it the same as you would with fat. Hodedo "Andy" is the master of the fatless brisket. He cooked one at the bash last year and it was awesome. Maybe he will chime in.

Meat Burner 06-08-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFoster (Post 945650)
I agree....I'm still thinking it's a flat. I have a harder time cooking flats right than full packers. I'll stand by what I said before...season, smoke for about half the time of a full...slice and enjoy. :-)

:confused:

BFoster 06-08-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 945687)
:confused:

Why is that confusing? Smoke it like you'd smoke any other brisket you've done...at the same temperatures. It should finish earlier than you're used to. Check with either temperature or touch/probe..and slice it.

Frank Sacco 06-08-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFoster (Post 945672)
Oh, and...from the OP. ' Should I cook this like I normaly cook brisket or will I need to change strategy?' seemed like a question I could answer. He knows it's a brisket...I'm just giving my experience.

I may have come across wrong. Please take no offense. My experiences with brisket cooks may or may not be as in depth as yours. However, when cooking briskets many factors come into play. Grade of beef, weight, cooking temp. I've cooked 9 lbs flats for 14 hrs in my WSM. I've also cooked 17lbs packers in the spicebox in record time. So even the pit is a factor. I thought it was a bit premature to suggest a time frame on a cook without knowing the other factors. In this case the only fact we know is he has a naked brisket on hand and doesn't know what to do with it!!

My recommendation would be to season to your liking, Wrap with thick cut bacon. Cook at 225-235 for 1-1.5 hrs per pound. Cook till "fork tender".
Second option may be to cook a high temp brisket cook.