The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Maverick users- need a little help (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150686)

twinsfan 01-02-2013 12:39 PM

Maverick users- need a little help

Hey all,

how you doing? I was very lucky and got a Maverick ET732 over the holidays and put a pork butt on this morning to see how it works. I've run into some trouble- don't know if it's a funky unit or something.

If I plug the barbecue probe into the barbecue slot, it works great.
If I plug the food probe into the food slot, it's not working, once in a blue moon it'll register if I hold it in my hand, but not picking up in the pork.

However if I put the food probe into the barbecue slot, it works fine. It's recording 130 F internal right now 2 1/2 hours into the cook.

Do I have a faulty connecter or something? Tried to resync several times, turn it on/off, no luck. Any advice appreciated

BBQ Bandit 01-02-2013 12:50 PM

Have you re-syncronized the transmitter to the receiver?
There is a certain method and order of sequences to be followed.

BobM 01-02-2013 01:00 PM

What "BBQ Bandit" said.

You plug the probe(s) into the transmitter. Make sure the probe connector is seated properly.
You turn the receiver on first.
You turn the transmitter on second.

Bob

PatAttack 01-02-2013 01:02 PM

Make sure they are both seated (plugged in) well in their respective places. If they're not seated well, you'll get some wonky or HHH readings.

deguerre 01-02-2013 01:11 PM

Yep. I've found with the 732 you have to make sure you've got a good probe connect.

jrn 01-02-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatAttack (Post 2314223)
Make sure they are both seated (plugged in) well in their respective places. If they're not seated well, you'll get some wonky or HHH readings.

Yep. Press'em in tight!

unfoundfred 01-02-2013 01:35 PM

What happens if you plug the barbecue probe into the food slot?

gaspipe1 01-02-2013 01:40 PM

I have been using mine for a few years now and never had this issue. And I'm not sure what sequence I turn them on and I know for a fact I have turned them on with out the probes connected.

If you got them new I would immediately return them if that's not an optionI would contact maverick. Their customer service seems on point.

No sense trying to make something to work when it's new. Also knowing my luck once the warranty expires it would start doing the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gore 01-02-2013 01:50 PM

Sounds like a bad connector (on the food probe). I'd return it if possible.

jrn 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

Call them. They've got awesome customer service.

dano 01-02-2013 03:45 PM

Bandit is right. Receiver goes on first, then transmitter. Sometimes they don't seat tight either. Really got to put some pressure on them. When all else fails, Customer Service!

Mdboatbum 01-02-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unfoundfred (Post 2314260)
What happens if you plug the barbecue probe into the food slot?

"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Total protonic reversal."

jrn 01-02-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdboatbum (Post 2314663)
"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

:clap: hahaha!!!!

I had been trying to think of a funny reply to that question earlier. None of'em were near that funny!

To answer the question......nothing would happen. It would just show food temp as the cooker temp, and cooker temp as the food temp.

unfoundfred 01-03-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdboatbum (Post 2314663)

Right. That's bad. Important safety tip.

unfoundfred 01-03-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrn (Post 2314887)

To answer the question......nothing would happen. It would just show food temp as the cooker temp, and cooker temp as the food temp.

You originally asked if you possibly had a faulty connector or something. My exceedingly dangerous hypothesis just goes to posit that it's likely not the unit or the probe that is faulty...just that food probe with the food slot. Probably a very slight manufacturing discrepancy. A replacement probe would probably take care of your problem.

Or open the door to Gozer's temple. 50/50.