The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   VA BBQ Used to be Sold in Texas and other States Because of Demand (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150385)

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 04:36 PM

VA BBQ Used to be Sold in Texas and other States Because of Demand

There was a time in this country that when someone thought of BBQ they thought of Virginia.

Here is an ad from a place in El Paso, TX that leveraged that image and used to sell "Old Virginia BBQ." The El Paso Herald, July 18, 1914. At the turn of the 20th century, Texas was just beginning their BBQ tradition. VA BBQ had already been legend in our country for about 300 years.

Virginia BBQ cooks, stop hanging your heads! VA has a rich BBQ tradition. I will do my part to bring it to light. Here is only a glimpse of what I have dug up in my labor of love.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=6809

BBQ_Steve 12-28-2012 05:01 PM

Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_Steve (Post 2309658)
Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!

Nice! I taught that to a Texan about 2 weeks ago.They loved it.

BobBrisket 12-28-2012 05:07 PM

WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?

Grabnabber 12-28-2012 05:35 PM

Phone # 4854. :cool:

chriscw81 12-28-2012 06:25 PM

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ZILLA 12-28-2012 08:14 PM

But it was El Paso..... :rolleyes:

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 2309668)
WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?

I haven't followed up on it. I did followup on a place in Richmond, VA that sold BBQ back in 1885 and found a "Visitor's Guide to Richmond, VA" from around 1885 which was like a time machine. The street names have changed so much and the old visitor guide had a map in it so I was able to figure out the modern names for the streets.

I haven't found anything like that for El Paso.

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZILLA (Post 2309813)

He he! Yeah, but it's still Texas BBQ. I have more great info on El Paso BBQ but it will have to wait for another time to be revealed.

The "market" style of TX BBQ was created at around the turn of the 20th century and was influenced by the same cultures as VA BBQ. In fact, I grew up on "Spotswood Furnace Road" which was a road that led to an iron furnace run by German and Eastern European settlers here in VA just like what you find in Central Texas. About 10 miles west of me is "Germanna" which was a settlement of German immigrants that worked in the iron ore mines.

Central Texas BBQ and Old VA BBQ share a lot of the same roots. The difference is the African American, Native American, English, and West Indies influence that was brought to bear on VA BBQ. But, those other influences were mostly seasoning and not cooking technique.

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 08:49 PM

Genealogical and Historical Notes on Culpeper County, Virginia. I grew up in Spotsylvania County, VA.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=6810

Happy Hapgood 12-28-2012 09:00 PM

Very Cool!

Lake Dogs 12-28-2012 09:02 PM

Awesome, even for a Virginian!

;-)

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Dogs (Post 2309851)
Awesome, even for a Virginian!

;-)

He he he! Thanks, bro!

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2309849)
Very Cool!

Thanks, bro. BTW - Louisiana has a rich BBQ history too!

twinsfan 12-28-2012 09:08 PM

Very nice... have visited the '64 Spotsylvania battlefield... very nice. Jackson died near there in the summer of '63, if I remember correctly.

Boshizzle 12-28-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsfan (Post 2309866)
Very nice... have visited the '64 Spotsylvania battlefield... very nice. Jackson died near there in the summer of '63, if I remember correctly.

Yep!

As weird as it may sound, Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried about 2 miles from my house. He was shot in the arm by "friendly" fire at the battle of Chancellorsville. They amputated his arm and rushed him behind the lines to recuperate. About a week later, he died of pneumonia a few miles south of me at Guinea Station which was a train station supply line away from the fighting for Lee's Army at the time. If you ever get a chance to visit Guinea Station near Thornburg, VA and hear the lecture, it's well worth the visit.

Militant83 12-28-2012 11:11 PM

Seeing how I was Born in Va maybe thats where my love for BBQ comes from some good ole VA BBQ bloodlines..lol

Hoss 12-28-2012 11:46 PM

I love these stories.Then came the men with the pigs,(Spaniards)and with them came the slaves from the Caribbean and Africa.Then,and ONLY then,came BBQ,barbacoa...slow roasted ,succulent,tender manna on Earth.Later there was Texas.I think Kansas was was being thought about then too.:thumb:Well,when it hit Memphis,it was DONE!!! :wink: :laugh:

Bluebird 12-29-2012 06:41 AM

I love these stories about Virginia, I live about 40 miles south of Roanoke up in the mountains.

Boshizzle 12-29-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebird (Post 2310066)
I love these stories about Virginia, I live about 40 miles south of Roanoke up in the mountains.

I bet it's a beautiful area.

landarc 12-29-2012 01:55 PM

Very cool Bo, keep it up and they will ban you from Texas yet.

Bluebird 12-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 2310385)
I bet it's a beautiful area.

It is, I'm about two miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Q-Dat 12-29-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 2309855)
Thanks, bro. BTW - Louisiana has a rich BBQ history too!

Well I sure would love a visit from the "Ghost of Louisiana BBQ Past" because "Louisiana BBQ Present" seems to be pretty much AWOL.

Now the future of Louisiana BBQ on the other hand.....

BobBrisket 12-29-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZILLA (Post 2309813)

Bite me..............:wink:

vafish 12-29-2012 09:18 PM

Boshizzle,

Are you going to write a book on VA BBQ?

Harbormaster 12-29-2012 11:27 PM

Bo -
I just love you BBQ history posts.
Keep 'em comin'.

chriscw81 12-30-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2310471)
Well I sure would love a visit from the "Ghost of Louisiana BBQ Past" because "Louisiana BBQ Present" seems to be pretty much AWOL.

Now the future of Louisiana BBQ on the other hand.....

Having grown up less than 30 from Louisiana I know Louisiana turns out great BBQ too! I grew up eating Cajun style foods regularly. A lot of my family back home still makes gumbo on Christmas.......or any other day that provides a reason for good food! :mrgreen:

JS-TX 12-30-2012 08:41 AM

Hold on Bo... Are you sure they aren't talking about "Old Virginia"... cause I know a few older ladies by the name of .... :wink:

Interesting, thanks!

Q-Dat 12-30-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscw81 (Post 2311019)
Having grown up less than 30 from Louisiana I know Louisiana turns out great BBQ too! I grew up eating Cajun style foods regularly. A lot of my family back home still makes gumbo on Christmas.......or any other day that provides a reason for good food! :mrgreen:

I guess I haven't really checked out the scene in thw rest of the state, but I know that down here in the Southeast section decent Q Joints are few and far between. Even as far over as Lafayette. If you go further north there might be some I don't know about.

JS-TX 12-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2311075)
decent Q Joints are few and far between.

Same goes for just about anywhere, here in San Antonio, decent Q joints are hard to come by. There are a couple places I want to check out, problem is they are a 30 min. drive. I'm surprised at the amount of people that frequent crappy bbq joints... it's almost offensive.:frusty:

Boshizzle 12-30-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafish (Post 2310782)
Boshizzle,

Are you going to write a book on VA BBQ?

I'd love to! But, I'm still short on some information that's been very difficult to dig up. I know it's out there because I have secondary references to it. I'ts just a matter of hard work to dig it. If I ever do, I will write a book.

The problem is the modern ideas of great BBQ areas. Virginia BBQ has taken a big hit in the last few decades with some of the great old time places closing up for one reason or another.

I think the real take away from the story of Virginia BBQ is the roots of BBQ history and how so much that we think came from places like NC, Memphis, Texas, etc. were actually first done in Virginia the "Mother of States."

One of my main goals is to answer Robert F. Moss's question from Barbecue: An American Institution where he asks "Whatever happened to Virginia barbecue?" I have some answers but not all of them. Just a little more work to do.

centexsmoker 12-30-2012 04:07 PM

love it B-SHizz. Keep it coming

Homebrewed Q 12-30-2012 04:16 PM

Born and raised in SE Texas, but I love all styles of BBQ. Also, with my Mom's side of the family being from Louisiana I was brought up on "Cochon de Lait" style pig roasts, which we also carried over with us to Texas and for many years was our New Years Day tradition no matter what the weather, introduced a lot of native Texans to that style of roasting a pig, splayed out between two grills, hung from an A frame in front of a open wood fire.......good stuff. In the last 10 years or so I've relied more heavily on pork for smoking and grilling, smoking pork butts for pulled pork, smoking St. Louis style ribs, and grilling chops. So no matter where styles originate and are perfected, there is always room to move them around the Country and World for all to enjoy.