The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I believe the Brethren has changed the BBQ community (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183141)

toymaster 03-06-2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg71 http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
Whats the method called where you start at 225, leave, come back, and its dropped to 165. So to correct you open the vents to get the pit back up to 225 but you already started drinking beers so you forget to check the temp periodically and you discover 2-3 hours later that its over 350. Whats that called?

When that happens to me, my friends tell me I'm having a "senior moment"

martyleach 03-06-2014 07:45 PM

I used to think 220 was the way to get all Q done. The problem with the larger meats as that they would sit in "The Stall" for hours and I couldn't really predict when they were going to be done within a 5 hour window. By kicking the temps up to 260-275 they blow through the stall. I cook ribs at 260 as well. Done in about 4 hours.

Getting back to some previous comments. I have stayed on this site as people are helpful and honest. Other sites, like the Egghead Forum, were/are dominated by closed minded, abusive folks that just want to tell you that you are doing it wrong unless you are doing it their way. It was so refreshing to find this Forum.

matt meyer 03-06-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtm29575 (Post 2830738)
I'm still new to smoking, having always been a griller, but Bamabuzzard stated my sentiments exactly. I've had to go higher in temp several times, but it was because of time constraints. But I found my butts cooked at 250-275 really just as tasty as my 225-250 ones. The only disadvantage I found in my higher temps was the quicker time reduced the amount of alcohol I got to consume waiting on the butt to finish!

Just drink faster:thumb:
I am fairly new to the website but, I do enjoy reading it. A lot of good information here as well as a lot of fun.
I have done hot and fast in the 325-375 range and my briskets were done in about 4-4 1/2 hours. I do prefer the low and slow method though

BBQchef33 03-06-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt meyer (Post 2831223)
Just drink faster:thumb:
I am fairly new to the website but, I do enjoy reading it. A lot of good information here as well as a lot of fun.
I have done hot and fast in the 325-375 range and my briskets were done in about 4-4 1/2 hours. I do prefer the low and slow method though

did that to a brisket once...

350-375.....came out like smoked pot roast. :doh:

Hawg Father of Seoul 03-06-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqgeekess (Post 2830488)
Myron Mixon has been doing HnF for a while now and it's talked about in season 1 of BBQ Pitmasters. Well I am sure there were a lot of others before him that did HnF as well.

But I do think this forum has had a lot to do with making it a popular choice. Seems like most cook HnF here.. I am gonna make a poll in another thread.. brb.

Myron learned hot and fast after Mike Davis spanked him and Ray Lampe on not so national TV.

deepsouth 03-06-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 2831218)
I used to think 220 was the way to get all Q done. The problem with the larger meats as that they would sit in "The Stall" for hours and I couldn't really predict when they were going to be done within a 5 hour window. By kicking the temps up to 260-275 they blow through the stall. I cook ribs at 260 as well. Done in about 4 hours.

Getting back to some previous comments. I have stayed on this site as people are helpful and honest. Other sites, like the Egghead Forum, were/are dominated by closed minded, abusive folks that just want to tell you that you are doing it wrong unless you are doing it their way. It was so refreshing to find this Forum.

i met some good q people on that site, but overall, it was like a female junior high slumber party (bickering and fighting) far too often. once the forum split into eggheadforum / corporate forum, i quit it.

Vision 03-06-2014 08:12 PM

Two things moved many up from 225. One was BBQ Pitmasters and the other was Meathead's study on the Stall.

Saiko 03-06-2014 08:15 PM

I did my first high heat brisket in 2009 out of pure laziness:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62365

This was after a few threads started popping up here from people who were using it. Would have never even attempted it if it wasn't for the folks here at the Brethren.

smoke ninja 03-06-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 2831226)
did that to a brisket once...

350-375.....came out like smoked pot roast. :doh:

Funny. ..... smoked pot roast is how I describe brisket to the uninitiated.

landarc 03-06-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiko (Post 2831262)
I did my first high heat brisket in 2009 out of pure laziness:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62365

This was after a few threads started popping up here from people who were using it. Would have never even attempted it if it wasn't for the folks here at the Brethren.

That is the exact thread that changed my brisket cooking and refocused my efforts on my first BBQ mentors old teachings.

JazzyBadger 03-06-2014 09:48 PM

I just laser eye all my meat until the fat renders out. So in other words, Hot and Fast here.

bbqbull 03-06-2014 10:49 PM

I am normally a 250 degree kinda guy.
A few weeks ago I did 2 boston butts at around 375 grate temp on my Big Steel Keg.
I used no moisture nor did I baste anything. I was in a big hurry as I promised one of the butts to my awesome neighbor who has plowed out my driveway with his big plow.
When I pulled the butts they had perfect color and were just above 200 degrees internal temp. Neighbor told me the bone pulled clean with very little fat. I was thrilled an not afraid to do Hot/Fast ever again. All thanks to the folks here on this wonderful forum. Thanks again.

Bigmista 03-06-2014 11:26 PM

Unless I'm on a temperature controlled pit (i.e. guru controlled or pellet pooper) I cook where ever the temp settles. I've cooked enough to know how to handle most temps. I just roll with it and it's done when it's done.

Learned that here with the brethren.

Hawg Father of Seoul 03-07-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 2831509)
Unless I'm on a temperature controlled pit (i.e. guru controlled or pellet pooper) I cook where ever the temp settles. I've cooked enough to know how to handle most temps. I just roll with it and it's done when it's done.

Learned that here with the brethren.

+1

I never fight a pit any more. My bandera likes 250 and I rock it there. The brethren is where I found out it was a stick burner. My cube is the only pit I own that I even touch the intakes or exhaust on. Might as well weld the other ones exactly where they are.

deguerre 03-07-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2831328)
That is the exact thread that changed my brisket cooking and refocused my efforts on my first BBQ mentors old teachings.

Unfortunately, you forgot to study the proper way to move a kettle after the cook, or so I heard...