The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shamelessly stolen.... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150864)

Pitmasterx 01-05-2013 01:31 AM

Shamelessly stolen....

Yes shamelessly stolen the recipe for brined prok chops from Steven Raichlen and changed it with whatever suitable ingredients were in the house:faint:

Tasted great and had a happy family dinner once again :clap:

By the way: I love my cast iron grill!

code3rrt 01-05-2013 03:44 AM

Great lookin' chops!

The_Kapn 01-05-2013 08:29 AM

Great Video.

That is exactly how I do my chops except I add no flavoring to the brine. Just salt, sugar, and water.
That is only a personal preference thing--the flavorings work great for those who wish to use them.

The reverse sear works great on chops.

I have about 30-- 1.25" (10-11 oz) Duroc chops in the freezer that we are working through.
With the brine, they are the most flavorful and moist chops I have ever eaten, except for some incredibly expensive Berkshire. 8)

Thanks for your effort on a video where the meat and the process are the star!!

TIM

Trumpstylz 01-05-2013 09:01 AM

Is it important to bag the meat while brining?

The_Kapn 01-05-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2317580)
Is it important to bag the meat while brining?

I can only answer for myself--Yes and No 8)

Bagging helps reduce the amount of brine needed and helps getting full coverage without "weighting down" cuts that want to float.
I bag big stuff like turkeys and such for those reasons.

Small stuff like chops and chickie parts I just put in one of those Sterilite plastic gallon pitchers from the Dollar Store.
Works great for me!

TIM

Johnny_Crunch 01-05-2013 09:29 AM

Very nice!

big brother smoke 01-05-2013 09:36 AM

Nice vid, sir!

HankB 01-05-2013 09:53 AM

Great video - nice pacing and lots of information. :thumb:

Props for giving credit where credit is due. Raichlen is one of my go to sources when I'm looking for ideas on how to cook something. I absolutely love his coffee rub and redeye sauce for brisket.

Pitmaster T 01-05-2013 11:02 AM

steller eats and video!

RevZiLLa 01-05-2013 02:18 PM

Fun!

gtr 01-05-2013 02:24 PM

Very nicely done! :clap2:

But those cast iron grates - they're staring at me...laughing...daring me to buy some...

Brauma 01-05-2013 07:05 PM

Most excellent vid! Loved it.

Do you think you'd get better flavor from the brine if you ran the ingredients thru a blender first? Or just chop them all up a little. Looks like you put whole garlic cloves in. I'd have to crush them up at least.

Also, I love those grates!

Happy Hapgood 01-05-2013 07:15 PM

Mighty Fine! Thanks!

Pitmasterx 01-06-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brauma (Post 2318226)
Most excellent vid! Loved it.

Do you think you'd get better flavor from the brine if you ran the ingredients thru a blender first? Or just chop them all up a little. Looks like you put whole garlic cloves in. I'd have to crush them up at least.

Also, I love those grates!

If you crush the ingredients or chop them up, the flavours will not be beter, but they will be stronger. So if you want one of the ingredients to have the upper hand, flavour wise, that is the way to go. Or you just ad more.

It's always worth giving it a try, at the risk of improving the recipe!;-)