The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No or Lo Carb Q and Sides (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153686)

QDoc 02-12-2013 08:33 AM

No or Lo Carb Q and Sides

The thread on no carb Butt made me wish for a forum dedicated to Lo-Carb BBQ. As a diabetic I do everything I can to reduce my carb intake. I realize in the big picture there may not be that many carbs compared to the total fat and protein but every gram counts. If there is interest please show your interest and maybe the Mods can create a spot for it.

HankB 02-12-2013 08:42 AM

I'm still a newb here and it seems to me that the management tends to keep things in one forum rather than subdivide things. I won't argue one way or another on that decision as it's not mine to make.

Nevertheless, if there was to be a section to deal with lo carb preparations, I would suggest it be expanded to cover any special needs diets.

Mammoth Mountain 02-12-2013 10:05 AM

All my recipes are low or no carbs. Health reasons as well drove me into changing how I cooked. I use Honey powder in my rubs. Agave and Blackstrap Molasses in sauces or glazes . I use no mayo in my sides and no ketchups. I never tell anyone and they love it. No Macaroni or potato salads. I make a Chiplote Cole Slaw instead. I did a 160 person wedding and thet said it was the best BBQ they ever had. But we don't have many if any good BBQ places up here. If they open a section up I will post my recipes.

scayne62 02-12-2013 12:14 PM

I would be into that even finding low calorie recipes to include in there as well.

MS2SB 02-12-2013 12:54 PM

You can always use the search function, and if you're posting low carb recipes you can include that as a tag in your initial post which will help others find them as well.

hamiltont 02-12-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammoth Mountain (Post 2364794)
All my recipes are low or no carbs. Health reasons as well drove me into changing how I cooked. I use Honey powder in my rubs. Agave and Blackstrap Molasses in sauces or glazes . I use no mayo in my sides and no ketchups. I never tell anyone and they love it. No Macaroni or potato salads. I make a Chiplote Cole Slaw instead. I did a 160 person wedding and they said it was the best BBQ they ever had. But we don't have many if any good BBQ places up here. If they open a section up I will post my recipes.

I too watch my carb intake but I use the crap out of Hellman's Mayonnaise. "Total Carbohydrate 0g"

http://www.hellmanns.com/product/det...eal-Mayonnaise

Mammoth Mountain 02-12-2013 01:59 PM

For me the mayo is a weight thing. That is why I ditched it.

John Bowen 02-12-2013 02:04 PM

I would not mind seeing that Chiplote Cole Slaw recipe - that sounds interesting. :idea:

caliking 02-12-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Bowen (Post 2365094)
I would not mind seeing that Chiplote Cole Slaw recipe - that sounds interesting. :idea:

+1 :grin: Would love to see some recipes for lo-carb/no carb dishes. May I suggest that this thread be used for posting any such discussion or recipes? As time goes on, and if there is sufficient interest, this thread may be "stickied" by the mods, as opposed to opening another section etc. Folks interested in other special diets can do something similar. Keeping it all in one thread (like the UDS thread) will keep it simple for everyone.

I'm on a lo-carb diet (diabetic), but I haven't had the need to eliminate all carbs - I'm just careful about the ones I really want. I watch and weigh food portions carefully and it seems to work well.

Has anyone used the myfitnesspal app? My wife and I found it to be very helpful, to count calories, carbs, etc. A cool feature is that you can input your own recipes and it can give you the nutritional facts for your recipes. It helped us determine how much of a given item (mac n cheese, cake, pie, etc) was reasonable to eat. Disclaimer: I don't own any stock in or have any affiliation with myfitnesspal

HogFan 02-12-2013 03:32 PM

Chipotle cole slaw with no mayo........I would love to see that recipe!

Mammoth Mountain 02-12-2013 07:13 PM

Chipotle Cole Slaw

3 Cups fine chopped cabbage
1 cup fine chopper red cabbage
1 cup carrot shredded
1/4 chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon lime juice. or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ( I use lime , low sodium diet )
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
a pinch of red pepper flake or more to taste
Mix all together.
In a blender add together:
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS White Balsamic Vinegar , don't use regular balsamic
2 to 3 Chipotle peppers ( start with 2 first ) with the Adobo sauce, 1 to 2 teaspoons . Small cans are in the Hispanic food section. Blend until smooth and mix with cabbage mixture. Let stand in fridge for at least 30 minutes. You don't have to worry about it in the sun.
I came up with this recipe to put on Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Pretzel Slider rolls from Costco. I just don't get to eat the rolls but everyone else raves about them. Well I had one once

DubfromGA 02-12-2013 08:39 PM

Low or no carb is relevant to my interests.

Mammoth Mountain 02-13-2013 07:49 AM

As a Side dish I sometimes leave the peppers and sauce out. Sometimes I add Jalapena thin slices.

John Bowen 02-13-2013 08:52 AM

Thanks for posting the info - I can't wait to try it.