The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165608)

Slamdunkpro 07-11-2013 09:55 AM

The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014

Here's the latest incarnation of the pork rule as approved by the KCBS BoD last night:
Quote:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.
Discuss

smokeisgood 07-11-2013 10:04 AM

I guess it depends on what the definition of "cooked" is.....

columbia1 07-11-2013 10:04 AM

I like it, it will allow us to set our sauce on the MM and chunks without dragging the whole butt back to the pit

roksmith 07-11-2013 10:17 AM

I suppose I see what they are trying to do with it, but I don't see any way of wording it that will not cause confusion and/or allow for "creative interpretation". Make folks show up with whole butts or shoulders, and cook them how they want... let the judging sort it out.

Podge 07-11-2013 10:43 AM

I think this rule is clear to me, and nothing wrong with it as far as i'm concerned. Cooked meat to me, is at a temperature that is safe to consume as-is (may not be tender, but safe).. cooked pork as per the USDA is 145. This is what I will use as the definition of cooked.

when does this new rule take effect?

G$ 07-11-2013 10:45 AM

sigh.

Rub'n Wood BBQ 07-11-2013 10:46 AM

I do not have the rules in front of me, but I would guess it is similar to brisket now?

MAP 07-11-2013 11:12 AM

They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac

Jason TQ 07-11-2013 11:17 AM

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean :-P.

MAP 07-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnbish (Post 2547637)
"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp?

It all comes down to interpretation. "Well Fark after I trimmed this sucker down all I was left with was the MM"

Slamdunkpro 07-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnbish (Post 2547637)

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean :-P.

Not really. There is no longer a minimum cook weight. "Hey, I trimmed my butt and all that was left was the money muscle!"

carlyle 07-11-2013 11:26 AM

As an organizer, the new version seems to add a bit of clarity about what is permitted.

Since some teams were cooking 2 butts, one for the MM one to pull, it will eliminate that extra butt. Unless you were doing 2 anyway.

So I like what I see as another step in the right direction. First new version was the first step, this version seems like just a clarification on intent. IMO.

Scottie 07-11-2013 11:39 AM

I don't think the problem is the word "cooked". The problem is the word "discretion"...

Personally, I believe it was a waste of time. It opens the door....

Jason TQ 07-11-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 2547640)
Not really. There is no longer a minimum cook weight. "Hey, I trimmed my butt and all that was left was the money muscle!"

Yeah and that makes sense, but their is still ambiguity as to what they consider "cooked". If you can get around they "cooked" wording by trimming to just the MM then why have that in there?

Lets say I want to just cook a MM and during the cook I want to separate the MM, then by the rules before I separate any part of that MM and return it to the smoker it must be "cooked". So KCBS still needs to define cooked. Granted that is a devils advocate example, but still would need clarification by KCBS :becky:.

Ford 07-11-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podge (Post 2547602)
I think this rule is clear to me, and nothing wrong with it as far as i'm concerned. Cooked meat to me, is at a temperature that is safe to consume as-is (may not be tender, but safe).. cooked pork as per the USDA is 145. This is what I will use as the definition of cooked.

when does this new rule take effect?

Jan 2014. I asked Jeff on Facebook and you can remove the mm when at temp you want and return rest to pit to finish. Then can sauce mm later and put back on. Jut don't let it go below 140 while holding. He said perfectly legal.