• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st ever pork belly (non bacon) cook for me.

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here she is @ 6.5 lbs and 13" X 11". It's skin off and frozen so it'll get thawed tonight and going on the rotisserie tomorrow on the bird barrel. Not planning on rolling it or cutting it up to cook it, she's going on whole. :shock:

I'm excited for this cook... not sure what exactly to expect so wish me luck!

Fun stuff! You will do fine.
Thanks, I hope so. I'm sure there's a reason why you don't see whole pork bellies cooked on kettle or grill rotisseries...guessing because of the odd shape and size and getting it to hold on a spit rod without flip flopping like crazy but I hope I have that problem solved!

Ya, $3.99/lb is what I pay at my butcher. I recommend smoking it at 250 for like 3 hours then slicing and frying it in bacon fat. Beware though, its addicting

Ya, $3.99/lb is what I pay at my butcher. I recommend smoking it at 250 for like 3 hours then slicing and frying it in bacon fat. Beware though, its addicting

This is dedicated for spinning over some really hot flames so I hope I can skip the frying part. lol

I was wondering if I should slice or cube though. The fat side will be cubed with the criss-cross so maybe slicing will be out of the question IDK :noidea:

Well, I hope mine comes out as good as I am sure yours will.
I,m spinning one as well.
My wife loves pork belly.
I think yours are cheaper tho
be interested in your pictures when you post them

Well, I hope mine comes out as good as I am sure yours will.
I,m spinning one as well.
My wife loves pork belly.
I think yours are cheaper tho
be interested in your pictures when you post them
Fantastic! Do you know how big yours is gong to be and how you'll mount it on the spit yet?

Man I'm watching this one close :clap:, can already smell the rendered fat hitting a real fire.

Can't wait to see the results. I was thinking about doing this on my rotisserie. I cooked pork belly on my offset and loved it, cooked to 180 then sliced it. I did trim the fat down to a thin layer.

Yes.its in the fridge now.
its a little one,10 inch x 6 inch.
Its going in my spit basket:thumb:
Ah yup I figured it was a smaller one. The basket is the only way I've seen a small one done...that and rolling them (sometimes stuffed) Now this 13X11 one i have definitely isn't fitting in a basket.

Man I'm watching this one close :clap:, can already smell the rendered fat hitting a real fire.
I'll send you some live cook pics Dave. It should smell (BBQ Pit boys) guuuuuuud! :thumb:

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the results. I was thinking about doing this on my rotisserie. I cooked pork belly on my offset and loved it, cooked to 180 then sliced it. I did trim the fat down to a thin layer.
I can't wait! You got me thinking... Should I trim the fat down? It doesn't seem too thick though but I'll double check it when it thaws.

Fire extinguisher!!
LOL ....Ha , should be nothing compared to when I do those fatty chicken thighs. The grease is like gasoline

I can't wait! You got me thinking... Should I trim the fat down? It doesn't seem too thick though but I'll double check it when it thaws.

I did it because I don't like a mouthfull of fat. Parts of the belly is different some has a thick layer and some already has a thin layer. The thin layer would be fine but if it's real thick I would trim.

Oh yeah, I think the grease is worse than fatty chicken thighs, flame on.

I did it because I don't like a mouthfull of fat. Parts of the belly is different some has a thick layer and some already has a thin layer. The thin layer would be fine but if it's real thick I would trim.

Oh yeah, I think the grease is worse than fatty chicken thighs, flame on.
Yea after you posted about the fat I went and looked at it and it's thick in spots so I'll be trimming a bit. Good advice

• Thanks
Reactions: COS
Never gave one a turn, but I have grilled many.

Pork Belly

[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Square up pork belly (I use the trimmings in beans)
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Inject with hog injection – about a cup (optional) **
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Rub skin with oil (if there is skin)
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Rub meat with a light coat of yellow mustard
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Apply rub of choice
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Place on grill skin side down with an aluminum pan under it to catch the fat
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Cook for 3 hours at 275 degrees using apple wood chunks and some hickory or cherry chips for accent
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Remove from the grill, add a touch more rub, then double wrap in foil with ½ cup of apple juice added (or cover if cooking on a rack in the pan)
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Cook another 3 hours at 275 degrees
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]The belly should be about 200+ and probe tender, if not keep cooking
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Baste with hog glaze and place on a cooling rack grill skin side down and place on the grill with an aluminum pan under it to catch the fat ***
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Cook another 30 minutes to let everything set
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Let rest for 30 minutes to cool down
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Pull the meat

Enjoy on slider rolls with pickled onions or slaw.

** Pork injection – Warm until dissolved
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 quarts apple juice
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 cup distilled white vinegar
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 pound sugar
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]½ cup salt

*** Hog glaze – Warm until dissolved
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 18-ounce jars apple jelly
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 cup light corn syrup
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]½ cup cider vinegar
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]¼ cup ketchup
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]2 Tbs. hot sauce
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]1 ½ tsps. salt