The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   stubbs charcoal no longer sold at lowes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157517)

SmokinFatties 03-31-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinFatties (Post 2430348)
I used to use Stubbs briquettes from lowes but now I find kingsford blue 16.6 lb bags at a local closeout store for 3.99 once or twice a year and buy them out when I do.

Don't know what that had to do with anything just wanted to brag about that deal I guess. I don't see the big deal about stubbs.

smokeinthenoke 03-31-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinFatties (Post 2430358)
Don't know what that had to do with anything just wanted to brag about that deal I guess. I don't see the big deal about stubbs.

IMO, Stubbs gives the food a better flavor, much like lump or wood, since it is all natural and doesn't have coal, fillers or other non-wood ingredients (other than a vegetable binder) like most standard charcoal. After using Stubb's I will never go back to Kingsford blue, I think it gives my food an off-putting taste (I still like the kingsford competition briquettes, though, which are also 100% all-natural).

If you look it up, even some on Kingsford's website, you will find that their original charcoal is made primarily from softwoods, such as pine sourced from sawdust and scraps of building lumber, mixed with crushed coal, limestone, borax, etc. Would you ever put pine or coal in your smoker? I wouldn't.

Again this is all just my opinion. I get passionate about my charcoal. :blah:

SmokinFatties 03-31-2013 09:28 PM

^^^^^ I understand these things. I still don't see it. I might also say I use probably a 1:4 ratio of briquettes to lump so the taste of the briquettes means much less to me.

smokeinthenoke 03-31-2013 09:52 PM

Yeah in that case you probably wouldn't see much difference. For me, once I started using Stubb's I just stuck with that and gave up lump completely. Of course it's all a personal preference anyway, if it's working well for you, and you're getting such a sweet deal on it, I would stick with it!

alex_123 04-01-2013 11:56 AM

Although I couldn't find it on the Lowe's website anymore, my local Lowe's still carries it and has plenty of it in stock. If they ARE phasing it out, hopefully they put it on sale so I can stock up on it.

jonboy 04-01-2013 12:15 PM

I stopped at local lowes today. The manager said they are carrying more stubbs products. They have a huge display,several of the stubbs rubs, sauce, and marinates along with several other new brands(rubs and sauce) in the front of the store.
It looks like they are loading up for grilling season.
jon

flyingbassman5 04-01-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_123 (Post 2431591)
Although I couldn't find it on the Lowe's website anymore, my local Lowe's still carries it and has plenty of it in stock. If they ARE phasing it out, hopefully they put it on sale so I can stock up on it.

I found it on there yesterday. You have to search "stubbs" and it will pop up with all the products. If you search "charcoal" it won't pop up with any but Kingsford and Cowboy products. Same with going through "Outdoors", "Grilling", "Charcoal", all that pops up is Kingsford.

Honestly, I hate Lowes's website because of stuff like that. Sometimes you search for something and it won't find it. Then if you sift through all the department nonsense and get down to the nitty gritty sub-sub-departments you will find it. Its a major PITA if you are trying to check local availability before you go to the store and walk up and down every isle to find out they don't have it in stock. One time it took 2 floor associates, me, and a manager 45 minutes to figure out where the oven stove gasket kits were. I knew they were in stock since the website said they had several in stock at my local store. Very unorganized, especially compared to Home Depot or an Ace.

:rant2: :frusty: :nono: :rant:

mbshop 04-01-2013 03:08 PM

i'm sure it will be available at many stores for a while until stock is all sold.
the guy on the floor said that lowes will not continue to carry it cuz they got orders to pull the tags once they are out and the tag at my store was pulled.

Trumpstylz 04-01-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 (Post 2431779)

Honestly, I hate Lowes's website because of stuff like that. Sometimes you search for something and it won't find it. Then if you sift through all the department nonsense and get down to the nitty gritty sub-sub-departments you will find it. Its a major PITA if you are trying to check local availability before you go to the store and walk up and down every isle to find out they don't have it in stock. One time it took 2 floor associates, me, and a manager 45 minutes to figure out where the oven stove gasket kits were. I knew they were in stock since the website said they had several in stock at my local store. Very unorganized, especially compared to Home Depot or an Ace.

I completely agree. As a store, I like Ace and Lowe's much more than Home Depot. However, HD's website is a thousand times better than the other two (especially Lowe's), so often times that sways my vote.

Mo-Dave 04-01-2013 07:12 PM

Ok George fess up, this is just a thinly veiled attempt at an April Food joke. I think I will have to call the home office.
Dave

ButtBurner 04-02-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke (Post 2431025)
Yeah in that case you probably wouldn't see much difference. For me, once I started using Stubb's I just stuck with that and gave up lump completely. Of course it's all a personal preference anyway, if it's working well for you, and you're getting such a sweet deal on it, I would stick with it!

I may give up on lump too. I use it as a ember base for my offset. But it burns so fast, I dont know

I just bought a bag of Stubbs at my Lowes, they still have plenty of it

If I like it I may not use lump anymore, I dont know

bookie 04-02-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke (Post 2430351)
My Lowe's sells that stuff like crazy. I have noticed as others have, that Lowe's seems to be carrying more grilling and BBQ related items, such as the sauces and things, more so than they used to. I hope they don't discontinue it! Lowe's is like 4 blocks from my house so it's easy to run get more when I run out.

I just moved to Salem from Missouri were I always bought Stubbs from Lowes.. I checked the Lowes website, they didn't have it listed. I'll have to stop in and check

bookie 04-02-2013 03:52 PM

Just checked Lowe's website again and searched under Stubb's, as suggested earlier, and yep a bunch of stuff popped up. Thanks for the search tip.

mbshop 04-02-2013 04:04 PM

nope, i'm telling it like i was told and what i saw. not that i bought the stuff anyway. was actually talking to the guy about their choice of lump and then he pointed to the empty spot and mentioned that they are no longer selling stubbs. then i questioned him more thus the info on the tag thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2432065)
Ok George fess up, this is just a thinly veiled attempt at an April Food joke. I think I will have to call the home office.
Dave

Beerbecue 04-03-2013 07:43 AM

mbshop- Have you tried the all natural briqs from Trader Joes? as an alternative?