The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Danish Back Ribs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16518)

AZPete 03-15-2006 02:40 PM

Danish Back Ribs

Can anyone shed some light on exactly what pork danish back ribs are?

Thanks

Bill-Chicago 03-15-2006 02:57 PM

It's not pork, its dog.

Great Dane Back Ribs.

Just kidding AZ (good to see you posting)

Here is your info:

<snip>

>>Baby back ribs were developed by the Danish livestock industry about 20 years ago as producers sought a market for what was then considered scrap. They found eager buyers in the United States, and now U.S. farmers have developed a similar product. About half the baby back ribs sold in the United States are from Danish farms.

Baby back ribs typically are four inches in length, about two inches shorter than the standard pork rib, because the hogs are smaller when slaughtered.<<

I have found that the product that is now produced by Smithfield Packing Co., (USA) tends to have more meat on the bones. It's just a little harder to find, and way more expensive.

<snip>

Jorge 03-15-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
It's not pork, its dog.

Great Dane Back Ribs.

Just kidding AZ (good to see you posting)

Here is your info:

<snip>

>>Baby back ribs were developed by the Danish livestock industry about 20 years ago as producers sought a market for what was then considered scrap. They found eager buyers in the United States, and now U.S. farmers have developed a similar product. About half the baby back ribs sold in the United States are from Danish farms.

Baby back ribs typically are four inches in length, about two inches shorter than the standard pork rib, because the hogs are smaller when slaughtered.<<

I have found that the product that is now produced by Smithfield Packing Co., (USA) tends to have more meat on the bones. It's just a little harder to find, and way more expensive.

<snip>

Or, if it's anything like we get in Texas, and it's sold in a 10 lb. case ask them to open a case for you to look at. Thin and little meat most of the time.

LostNation 03-15-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZPete
Can anyone shed some light on exactly what pork danish back ribs are?

Thanks

I was going to give you a wise a$$ answer but I won't.

European pigs are slaughtered at a smaller size. The loin back ribs from these pigs are typically 14-18 ounces. Some of the larger and smaller are sold retail but most in the 16 oz. range are "kettle" cooked for casual dining restaurants ( Chile's, Fridays, Applebees, etc.). These businesses are more interested in portion control so they want their "Baby back, baby backs" to weigh around 1 pound per slab.

There is a company in Swanton Vermont that cooks most of the ribs (Sun Hill Foods). The pork comes into the harbor in Montreal and is shipped to Sun Hill. I have heard that the ribs taste slightly 'fishy' due to the fact that the Danish pigs are fed bi-products from the fisheries but that's just a rumor.

River City Smokehouse 03-15-2006 03:49 PM

I have bought these before for about $.99 lb. IMHO those pigs are called Danish because they are skinny. There is hardly any meat on the bone.

Bill-Chicago 03-15-2006 06:08 PM

Let me add that my post was a pure "cut and paste" from a non-brethren source.

I had never heard of these until you asked.

Googled it Mod

But once I saw LostNation post, it clicked.

LN, you are correct. I can't order Chile's Fridays etc chains because they are teeny tiny. All mess, and no pay off. Portion control is key, and I always wondered where the "smaller" ribs came from.

Thanks, I think I learned something new today.

chad 03-15-2006 07:15 PM

It's not just the pig donors! They are trimmed to the nth degree, too.

Sawdustguy 03-15-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
Let me add that my post was a pure "cut and paste" from a non-brethren source.

I had never heard of these until you asked.

Googled it Mod

But once I saw LostNation post, it clicked.

LN, you are correct. I can't order Chile's Fridays etc chains because they are teeny tiny. All mess, and no pay off. Portion control is key, and I always wondered where the "smaller" ribs came from.

Thanks, I think I learned something new today.

Their always too small, overcooked and underflavored. Even sauce can't help the ribs at those types of places.

The Woodman 03-16-2006 04:13 PM

I like them for competition. They are way trimmed, and the bone shape is always really apparent which makes choosing and cutting them easier. They are fattier and meatier than loin backs, but not as big and sloppy as regular spares.

Dakaty 03-16-2006 04:41 PM

The ones I've seen are very flimsy and have very little meat on them (Fiesta Mart in Houston).