The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   He's Back! He's Re-Built! He's Better Than Ever! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174125)

veryolddog 10-28-2013 08:01 PM

He's Back! He's Re-Built! He's Better Than Ever!

A little over 4 weeks ago, I had total hip replacement surgery. It seems like you make some forward progress then you take a step backwards but on the whole there is significant improvement. So this past weekend, I did my first smoke on the wood smoker in six weeks. We also did a lot of cooking which played a big role in our weekend. The nice thing about this recovery is that there is no more pain to my hip. The process of recovery involves the strengthening of the muscles in the leg and retraining to walk without a cane. So here is a video summarizing the weekend cook.

http://youtu.be/A5mNJHhcUC4

SmittyJonz 10-28-2013 08:18 PM

Smoking after only 4 Weeks - WoW. :eusa_clap

Okie Sawbones 10-28-2013 09:05 PM

Good going on the hip. Stay active; keep on smoking!

16Adams 10-28-2013 09:08 PM

Heck Yes. Make Up Smoke is some of the best smoke you'll ever have ��

Best wishes for a 100% recovery

peeps 10-28-2013 09:12 PM

A buddy of mine had hip replacement a year and a half ago at the age of 33. I was surprised at how quick his recovery was in terns of just getting around. He came over for a BBQ just a week or so after and was using his walker and said it was the first time in years his hip didn't hurt in day to day activity. He had pain from the incision and in his muscled, but the hip pain was gone. His doc cleared him to play racquetball again after a year.

Glad you are getting around ok and nice work on the smoker!

mrbill 10-28-2013 09:25 PM

glad to see you're able to get back to what you love

okiej 10-28-2013 09:52 PM

Good luck with the hip! Great video, Love biscuits and gravy. Breakfast is good anytime!

nucornhusker 10-28-2013 09:53 PM

Stickburning 6 weeks after hip replacement. That's how you know you've got the bug, badly.

Glad to hear you are doing well, Ed.

And man, that is some CHUNKY biscuits and gravy. :mrgreen:

layne 10-28-2013 10:04 PM

Congrats!
I just passed the1 year mark after mine. Good as new!

martyleach 10-29-2013 12:10 AM

Great for you! Do pulled pork often as the pulling process is really great for your hips and knees. See if any doctor tells you that....

chambersuac 10-29-2013 12:29 AM

Good for you. God bless you and grant you strength, comfort, peace, and a complete healing!

sliding_billy 10-29-2013 03:21 AM

Awesome job Ed!

BettysNephew 10-29-2013 03:37 PM

Great job on the recovery. I had my knees replaced 8 weeks apart and will be returning to work in 2 weeks. The 10 weeks following the second are going quite quickly. I got back on the BGE a couple of times after about 6 weeks following the first surgery and about a month after the second. It is amazing what a guy will do to get a bit of hickory smoke in his face. Hang in there it only gets better with time.

GoolsbyMD 10-29-2013 03:45 PM

I didn't have hip replacement but I did have knee reconstruction and my biggest advice is stay on top of the physical therapy and learn to love ice compresses. I went as far as purchasing an at home ice therapy machine. So I could deal with the constant PT homework amd swelling.

BettysNephew 10-29-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD (Post 2674833)
I didn't have hip replacement but I did have knee reconstruction and my biggest advice is stay on top of the physical therapy and learn to love ice compresses. I went as far as purchasing an at home ice therapy machine. So I could deal with the constant PT homework amd swelling.

Agreed, the therapy seems to be even more important than the actual surgery as far as how you will function afterward.