Direct cooking vault 2nd attempt! Success!

J

jmoney7269

So the other day I was goofing around with the vault, cookin some stuff, and it dawned on me. I have been missing the flavor of the UDS compared to the vault. Called George up and asked if they could make the drip pan removable since I cook the vault dry. He said try this first. Take the charcoal basket and remove the bottom rack and set it in there, boom instant direct cooking Pitmaker! I have to admit, I didn't like the first trial run like this, could t get up to a good temp with the guru in the normal bottom hookup. So went to home depot, got a 1 1/4-3/4 pipe reducer and hooked the guru to the drain valve. Shoot I'm in business now boys! Best dry rub ribs I have ever cooked. Done em in 2 hrs. Don't know if alot of y'all have ever cooked in the Brenham, fayettville, Lagrange area. But dry ribs way outplace glazed ribs. It's definitely a trick to have in the basket for sure. Heard through the grapevine that Craig does this on his safes also. :twisted:
I'm glad George told me to try this Becaise once the sealed drip pan is removed, you can't cook the high quality of food anymore without the possibility of a grease fire.

Cool, I'll have to remember this so when that day comes I get a pitmaker.. not anytime soon though. For comp. purposes would you spritz these dry ribs or use a really thin glaze to keep them looking moist for turn-ins?

Yeah I have a spritz that I hit every turn in with. It complements my rub, a d glazes if applicable. It has evoo and pickle juice and that's all I'm sayin! :becky:

arent you defeating the purpose of why you would buy a Vault?

Pray tell, what was MY purpose for buying the vault?

Last edited by a moderator:
arent you defeating the purpose of why you would buy a Vault?

I'm going to perceive your acquiescence as you not knowing why I bought my vault, So im going to share why I did. I bought the vault simply Because they have made significantimprovements to their product enough to make me
Finally want another one. Inha a 1st gen vault and temp control sucked! It did what it wanted, the gasket always leaked, and got gummed up, the intake slides leaked air big time. IMO I don't think there is a better cooker out there.... Well almost. A conversion vault from indirect to indirect would be better. I bought this vault also so I could cook my brisket and ribs and if I chose, chicken all on one pit. I'm one of them guys that likes my BBQ to taste like BBQ, not just smoked food, so indirect cooking just dont cut it for me. It's a flavor profile you can only get cooking over coals, clean burning coals. My 2nd attempt at this direct
Cooking on the vault was a success and do believe that anyone that has a vault should try it. There is a little more cleanup, but nothing a shop vac can't fix. IMO a perfect BBQ vault will sill be convertible to this direct cooking method, then they can claim they got the ultimate do it all cooker.

Back