The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Foil pan usage (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73438)

Butcher BBQ 11-29-2009 02:10 PM

Foil pan usage

I'm trying to nail down some serving cost, I can figure cost of goods and even have the final weight vs. cost to know my final cost of cooked and sellable meat cost. My question to you is how much slice, chopped, chopped with sauce, and ribs fit in a standard foil half and whole steam pan?
What I'm trying to do is get my final cost of goods in several sellable ways for catering? Then I can have an idea on true cost of goods going out the door.

Thanks in advance and if I haven't been clear enough just post your question and I will answer.

Jeff Hughes 11-29-2009 03:35 PM

Most caterers sell meats by the lb(or rack) for drop off catering. Sides are often done by the pans. You will be competing against restaurants and vendors(like Donny) who have a major advantage because they are cooking already. I find it tough to make any real money on gigs like that unless they are big jobs.

The good margin jobs are the cook on site and serve gigs for at least 50 people. I'm in the 12.00/head range for a two meat two side meal. Ribs are extra.

Don't sell yourself short, you have a potential gold mine with the customer base your wife's connections offer.

Call me if you want help bidding some jobs. My offer to help on site is still good if I can fit your gig into my schedule...

Butcher BBQ 11-29-2009 06:13 PM

Thanks Jeff, I have kept it in mind. I'm in the process of getting my kitchen (aka my meat shop) inspected to do full catering. The only thing I am finding that I need to do is install some other shelves in the walk in cooler separated from the non inspected meat.

E Mellow 11-29-2009 06:50 PM

I usually use half pans as we can keep food hot in our cambro until more is needed. For some items filling a full pan becomes hard to manage for some our customers. Usually get around 4.5/5 lbs of brisket, chicken, or pork per half pan and if we are doing half slabs of ribs I can fit 6 halves into a half pan. I agree with Jeff we sell meat by the pound but we do sides by pan size not weight. If there is some kind of salad involved we give them the amount of ingredients that would fill a half pan but serve it in a full pan so it can be mixed with less mess.

HBMTN 11-29-2009 10:14 PM

4lbs of pulled pork will fit in a half pan nice, 5lbs will go but more than that it will be stuffed.