First Brisket and Pork Shoulder on my new Horizon 16" (w/Pics)

The Smoke

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all - First let me just tell everyone who reads this THANKS for making this the incredible resource that it is. I am new to it and am only a few posts in. I am greatly enjoying the learning experience.

I've said it before - I just replaced my Char Griller with this new Horizon 16in with very thick steel and classic design. Definitely easier to keep some steady and even temps on a bit less fuel. But still an offset that is a joy to learn to manage.

I wrestled with very uneven temps for about a week until I stumbled upon the perfect placement of the convection plate that I had inappropriately positioned in my cooking chamber. Problem solved and can now enjoy the use of my entire cooking surface. Translated...it's time to smoke some big meats.

I spent all day Saturday enjoying the duties of fire management with lump and splits. monitoring temps. throwing back a few brews with my dad. teaching my 9 year old son about smoking (whenever he was interested enough to listen).

A great day. And here are some pics of my adventure. Enjoy.

IMG_1289.jpg

And finally...the pulled pork...

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

It was delicious. I love to smoke meat. Thanks again for all of your contributions to this forum. Good times.

The Smoke.

looks fabulous. that day is what bbq is all about. good time with family and friends. glad to see the new smoker is working out for you:thumb:

Looks like a couple of home runs!!! Did you make your own rub?

Dandy looking results, makes me want to go season the new pit but it's just so darn hot out there! I hear ya about the attention span of a 9yo boy. That is if you can pry the dang PSP out of his hands.

Looks like great grub on a great day! Congrats on the new pit - looks like it's getting good use! :thumb:

Great! Nice to see a successful first run! Gorgeous lookin grub.:thumb::thumb:

Looks like a couple of home runs!!! Did you make your own rub?

Thanks. I really was a little bit surprised at how well they turned out. In fact, I did make my own rub this time. It was my first time not to use something pre-mixed and store bought. The result on both the pork and the brisket was really nice. The bark it produced was tasty. Though I was nervous about how dark it looked. It only tasted great. Both rubs were fairly simple. Brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, chili powder etc... I will definitely make them again. They were just a couple of straightforward recipes I found online somewhere. And so my journey of tweaking them begins...

Back