Boston Butt

Smokey_WYO

Reaction score
Hey Friends, I'm getting ready to do some pulled pork. Just wonder what some of your favorite rubs are? I appreciate it and thank you in advance.

0ebc8407e34e30ffd18178358b804857_zpsf3325ddf.jpg

This is what i use and it does a really good job. IMO it Creates a nice bark and adds a great flavor without over powering the flavor of the meat. I also mix in Apple wood chuncks with the charcoal and cook on my UDS. Hope that helps.

I use the Grill Mates pork rub and their Applewood rub shown above. I also inject with Tony Chachere's roasted garlic and herb marinade. I do this the night before and wrap and refrigerate. Pull out when I fire up grill. That's my way. There are many.

I use the above AppleWood Rub. :thumb: And Sweet Baby Rays Original slightly thinned.

I appreciate all the input, I went a different route prior to checking back. I will let you know how she turns out. Thanks again everyone.

The rub isn't gonna be critical on a butt. The main thing for flavor is gonna be if and what you inject with or finishing sauce you mix in the pull. For a rub though just your favorite rib rub will suffice....lately I've used Jack Stack meat and poultry or one of my jerk seasonings.

Simple Salt and Pepper will work well, even throw some granulated garlic and/or granulated onion into the mix.

I personally use OakRidge BBQ Game Changer Brine as an injection and then dust with OakRidge Chicken and Pork rub...

There are so many options out there to choose from..

inject with apple juice. And dust it with my rub .

Slap Ya Momma, Goya Season perfect( green top), Salt, Salt & Pepper, Old Bay. You will notice the lack of Sugar. I save Sweets for Desert.

Blues Hog rub, Jack Stack BBQ sauce or Night of the Living BBQ Sauce for heat! Yum!

garlic powder (or better yet, insert garlic cloves into the meat)
paprika
pepper (white/black/red)
orange peel

Big Wampus's All Purpose Rub
1/2C Light brown sugar
2 TBS Hickory flavored Bacon Salt
1 TBS Celery salt
2 TBS Accent
2 TBS Granulated Onion
2 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Paprika