Country Smoker vs Rain

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you with Country Smokers, what do you do at a contest if it starts to rain and you don't have an enclosed trailer? How do you work around it? I saw recently that the manufacturer puts on the instructions not to operate the unit in the rain. Thanks in advance.

I dont believe you are are supposed to operate any of them in the rain....

As long as the hopper extension isnt in, you wont get water in the pellets, but just like any cooker, you have to worry about keeping it hot in the wind and rain.

If it has the digital controller, you could let it roll... if not, adjust the dial up accordingly.... ideally you have an ez up... and you can just put most of it under the EZ-up.... and life is good.

I've cooked in a flash flood in Marshalltown, and Torrential downpours in short bursts at many contests... she always holds like a champ.

I think as long as you're careful w/ the plug (plastic bag mod) and the electronics (umbrella, trash bag, or EZ Up mod), you'll be fine.

For those of you with Country Smokers, what do you do at a contest if it starts to rain and you don't have an enclosed trailer? How do you work around it? I saw recently that the manufacturer puts on the instructions not to operate the unit in the rain. Thanks in advance.

Matt,
I wire mine to the tallest metal object I can find, then hope for lightening. It works like a microwave then. I put a couiple side walls on the ezup to keep it dry and use a fan to blow the smoke out. I have also done the sidewalls if its a very windy day.

ez up- rubber boots(just for the mud), & a good ground fault.....:-D:-D

Back