Are you a pitmaster?

jfletcher84

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I considers myself a novice. I only know anything about que because of the Brethren. I love to que but I have only begun to scratch the surface. So do you consider yourself a pitmaster? When was it that you became one and how. was it winning a competition or at some other point?

Yes...

We all started (at one time) with an ignorant view what the definition of BBQ was...

Its a combined resultant of a few trains of thought;
1. Mastery of one's pit without electronic assistance.
2. Its the cook, not the cooker.

Boils down to one's skillset... and have learned, burned, and earned the foundation right here within this forum.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your definition of pitmaster. If it's somebody that has mastered their pit(s) and can put out pretty good Q on a consistent basis.. then yes. :becky:

Am I a pitmaster? Couldn't say. I just know its my passion, obsession, and something I have to do!!!:p

Yep, like others said...time and effort (I don't ever "practice") result in you putting out quality que and hence a "pitmaster". Will I be the next Aaron Franklin, Myron Mixon, or Dr. BBQ, nope...but I've learned a lot of the trade practices and put them to good use. Oh, and competing against those guys helps, too! :mrgreen:

Several things stand out when I meet real, honest to gosh, pitmasters:
1. They are usually humble - about all BUT their BBQ. :mrgreen:
2. They can cook quality que on a $79 Lowes ECB or a mega-thousand dollar, gold plated, eye-candy, powder coated rig: electric, gas, charcoal, pellet, chunks, chips, or sticks...if it involves heat and meat - they are "game on".
3. They won't usually tell you how bad your que is! :twisted: (got back to #1)
4. They are talented and the best are not "one trick ponies". Any meat, any time, any cooker, any day...
Those are my pitmaster heroes.

Yes...

We all started (at one time) with an ignorant view what the definition of BBQ was...
Its a combined resultant of a few trains of thought;
1. Mastery of one's pit without electronic assistance.
2. Its the cook, not the cooker.
Boils down to one's skillset... and have learned, burned, and earned the foundation right here within this forum.

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

It's not a question I'm comfortable answering in the affirmative.

Plenty of guys on here could tell ya whether they think I am or not.

Harbormaster is indeed a pitmaster. Someday I wish to be more like him!:thumb:

Actually, I've never tried his food. I just wanted to be humble. He did send me a cool ass hat though!:cool: So that counts for something!

After 30 + years I consider my self a well seasoned apprentice, I learn something new with every cook.

To me a pitmaster is someone who can handle any piece of meat and any unexpected circumstance thrown at him or her and end up with great Q.

I don't think I would ever consider myself a pit master. I just have a passion for this great hobby we all love and want to keep learning and experimenting. I think I can produce some pretty good que but I strive to keep getting better and there is no better place to help make that happen than here with you brethren.

Master - Having or showing very great skill or proficiency

Pit - pit where wood or charcoal is burned to make a bed of hot coals suitable for barbecuing meat.

The problem with the above is, "great skill" is very subjective. I would say, competitions aside, if you are cooking que and it is truly being enjoyed by those whom you cook for than you are a "pitmaster".

Back