The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Baked beans on smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167085)

Dlabrie 07-28-2013 06:21 PM

Baked beans on smoker

I searched the site for doing Baked beans on the smoker and came up with a lot of recipes using canned beans.

I was wondering if you couldn't use a bean pot and dried beans to cook along side of a 10-12 hour brisket smoke. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it is usually something like a pound of navy beans, molasses, salt pork, onions dried mustard and water in a crock and cooked in a pit or the oven for many hours.
Could I put the crock in the smoker with the brisket?

ironmanerik 07-28-2013 06:29 PM

I use a cast iron Dutch oven
boil the beans on the stove for an hour, save the water to add later if needed

popeye 07-28-2013 06:52 PM

also use a cast iron dutch oven. But i also use a lot of bacon and mollsas

caseydog 07-28-2013 06:56 PM

So, do you guys stir the pot of beans regularly to get maximum smoke penetration? That is something I've always wondered about BBQ beans.

CD

Happy Hapgood 07-28-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2568977)
So, do you guys stir the pot of beans regularly to get maximum smoke penetration? That is something I've always wondered about BBQ beans.

CD

That's Exactly the way I do my Ribs.

Damn True 07-28-2013 07:02 PM

The real challenge is balancing the beans on the grates.

Ron_L 07-28-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2568983)
That's Exactly the way I do my Ribs.

You stir your ribs?

oifmarine2003 07-28-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2569000)
You stir your ribs?

After enough of his Busch lights, he might try and stir his ribs!

ironmanerik 07-28-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2568977)

CD

I think of mine as baked not BBQ so I leave the lid on

popeye 07-28-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2569000)
You stir your ribs?

no he uses the ribs to stir his beans

smokenpreacher 07-28-2013 08:39 PM

Another vote for the cast iron dutch oven. I do a baked bean dish called Roosevelt Beans.....recipe comes from Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone Park. I've done it on the smoker several times, and stirring doesn't seem to make any difference in the smoked flavor. They good no matter how you cook'em!

Dlabrie 07-28-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmanerik (Post 2569010)
I think of mine as baked not BBQ so I leave the lid on

That is what i was thinking. I don't want to keep opening the smoker so I thought I'd add a cup or so more water initially and check it when I wrap the brisket.

jmellor 07-28-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlabrie (Post 2568932)
I searched the site for doing Baked beans on the smoker and came up with a lot of recipes using canned beans.

Try searching for pit beans and you'll see a bunch of recipes. I did some this weekend. Not sweet baked beans but a nice alternative. I have thrown baked beans on the smoker as well. Just stir them a bit.

mikeleonard81 07-29-2013 02:53 AM

I use a dutch oven also. I've used dry beans before but they weren't as good as the canned i thought. I was with you though. I wanted "from scratch" bbq baked beans! not doctored pork and beans. I use kidney and black beans, molasses, brown sugar, a lil' bit of bourbon, brown sugar and some spices with a bay leaf or 2. I start with a little bit of bacon in the dutch oven and brown it on the stove. Then remove the bacon and add a pablano pepper and some orange and red bell peppers and a onion. Soften them up and add the rest. I put them directly under my shoulders for a few hours. (Not to long or they will get overly smoked) Hope this helps.

dwfisk 07-29-2013 07:26 AM

I use a dutch oven and I'll do them a couple ways.

Baked or BBQ beans with lots of bacon (sometimes SL rib trim or leftover meat from a previous cook) & onions in the smoker. I let them get a good hit of smoke then cover for most of the cook. Careful, then can thicken to mush pretty quick.

I'll do a variety of charro beans, usually with spicey sausage, in the dutch oven, but I'll just put the whole thing on top of the firebox of my RF offset. I actually do a fair amount of cooking (breakfast) this way. It can get a little hot so I keep an assortment of angle iron and tubing to use as spacers to get the dutch oven up a little.