The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Doe's it annoy you when People Use the term BBQ too losely? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154493)

DownHomeQue 02-22-2013 03:40 PM

Doe's it annoy you when People Use the term BBQ too losely?

Something about that gets under my skin.... i want to be like no... you are completely out of line for calling this Chit.. BBQ :twitch: LOL i just wanted to see what the Bretheren thought about it... to me BBQ is Smoked meat... over fire... nothing else constitutes bbq.. don't give a Fark.. about the sauce.. thats extra.. but BBQ is all about the smoked meat.. please chime in!

The_Kapn 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Doe's it annoy you when People Use the term BBQ too losely?

Not in the least.

A name does not define anything!

TIM

Bludawg 02-22-2013 03:45 PM

Only in the context that sauce is BBQ and can be prepared in a Crock pot or an Easy Bake Oven.

Moose 02-22-2013 03:45 PM

Not as much as it used to...although I always remind people who misuse or misunderstand it.

Moose 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2378999)
Only in the context that sauce is BBQ and can be prepared in a Crock pot or an Easy Bake Oven.

Yes, and also that ribs should be boiled first before saucing and putting on the gas grill. :becky:

bigabyte 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

I agree about the definition, except for the "over a fire" part. I think a "fire" and "over the fire" are optional, but definitely the meat needs to be caressed with wood smoke. The location of the heat source, and whether or not it produces a fire is not relevant so long as it is cooked properly and smoked.

Not all will agree on all points with everyone though.

As for whether it insults me when people use the word for something otherwise...

It doesn't bother me one bit. Why the fark would I let something so trivial get me so upset when it makes no difference to anything, really?

Now, if some neighbor starts letting their dog crap in my yard, maybe that would bother me a bit. But not someone calling something they took off a grill or out of a crock-pot "BBQ". Then again, some people jsut like to bitch about anything and everything.

Goyo626 02-22-2013 03:49 PM

In my youth I was ignorant and thought anything cooked outside in a grill-like cooker was BBQ. Thankfully, I know better now. I think educating the ignorant is the way to go. Since I am very green when it comes to BBQ I can't say I have seen/heard lots of people call grilling BBQ but I do get somewhat annoyed at people calling taco bell / dell taco meaxican food so I can relate.

Mbrienzo 02-22-2013 03:53 PM

I agree with Goyo. I was naive before truly understanding what BBQ is. A little education on BBQ never hurt anyone.

gtr 02-22-2013 03:54 PM

It doesn't bother me. Not getting to cook or eat BBQ would bother me though.

mbshop 02-22-2013 03:55 PM

yes it does. wife hates it when i'm yelling at the tv. something about they can't hear me.

Lake Dogs 02-22-2013 03:56 PM

Nope. Just because I think The Kapn is a **** **** doesnt mean he is... :-)

Dont try to educate ignorance. You'll only stay frustrated.

landarc 02-22-2013 03:57 PM

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. It bothers me a lot more when I buy some BBQ, or alleged BBQ, and regardless of how it is cooked, it is bad food.

Bluesman 02-22-2013 03:58 PM

Doesn't bother me. Gives me an opportunity to invite them over and sample my BBQ......:-D
They bring the sides and the beer everyone wins........:cool:

Titch 02-22-2013 04:28 PM

BBQ, is a word used worldwide for cooking in various ways.
I guess in this day of internet you need to accomodate other peoples ideas as well.
BBQ here, is virtually anything cooked over a gas/solid fuel appliance outdoors.
cheers.
Titch

RevZiLLa 02-22-2013 04:35 PM

Doesn't bother me at all.

If someone is making food that their family loves, GREAT! Maybe they will be encouraged enough to learn more about it. Turning your nose up at it is a great way to give all us BBQers a really bad reputation as a bunch of crotchety old farts...which we are