Temp gauge on the UDS

scottjess

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Was wondering what temp gauges you would recommend installing on a UDS.

Thanks,

I think I will buy a cheaper non digital gauge; the tel tru although nice is a little pricey.
I have a Maverick et732 that I will use at grate with a cheaper secondary non digital gauge.

I use a 10.00 old country smokers temp gauge on mine. Everytime I check it it is spot on 4 yrs now.

I sure like SpiceWine Temp Gauges....
he's a Brethren, if you were unawares...
spot on now for almost six years.....
and,they look cool too....

DrumGrill_1.jpg

Last edited:
I also use the 12" turkey fryer thermos. I actually have 2 in mine, one about 1/2" under each cooking grate. They're cheap, easily replaced and I've found them pretty accurate.

I sure like SpiceWine Temp Gauges....
he's a Brethren, if you were unawares...
spot on now for almost six years.....
and,they look cool too....

DrumGrill_1.jpg

And you can calibrate them!

I don't know who the MFG is on that gauge N8Man but I have the same one and it was labeled Old country Smoker Co. on the pkg. irregardless it's a good un
uds009-1.jpg

I put a gauge from Academy Sports just above the bottom grill grate.
It's been dead on for temps.
(I tried moving a oven gauge around on the grate and got consistent readings)

When I use my upper grate I use an old turkey cooker thermometer dropped thru one of the exhaust holes in the top.
Close enough for Government work...

A UDS may be the most forgiving smoker you can use.
The moist environment gives a little leeway in temperature.

I also use the 12" turkey fryer thermos. I actually have 2 in mine, one about 1/2" under each cooking grate. They're cheap, easily replaced and I've found them pretty accurate.
If there is a hex fitting between the stem and the dial, they are adjustable. While the stem is in boiling water, turn the dial while holding the hex till the needle points corectly.

I use the Walmart turkey fryer thermometer as well. It's just close enough to get a good idea how its running. When I first started using my drum I compared it to my digital to get a reference and life is now good.

Back