The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hey brothers...can you give your opinion on this? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107972)

Bbqin fool 06-03-2011 04:43 AM

Hey brothers...can you give your opinion on this?

Hey guys and gals. I'm looking for a new pit so I can compete next year. I'm leaning towards a smoker on this website www.bbqheaven.net The smoker is the big daddy grill minus the lp burner in the cooking chamber. I was wondering if I could get my beloved brethren's opinion on it by what you can see on their website. I've already talked to the owner and everything is customizable. Just looking for some input. Thanks!

ssbbqguy 06-03-2011 07:24 AM

They're are so many more to choose from. Personally. I wouldn't waste time by trying a unit that hasn't been used in comps. before. Learning to compete should be the main focus, not whether my pit can keep up.The use of insulation in this world makes some time to rest or sleep at comps..I would keep looking, maybe a Peoria like QUAU uses or a Lang which is widely used. There are several insulated box type cookers that work well.Fast Eddy pellet cookers are made for comps. Even one or two of my firebrick lined BarrelSmokers would afford you the time to put better product in front of the judges. I strongly suggest looking more and you'll have better options than what you're on now. Good luck. Steve.

Sawdustguy 06-03-2011 07:37 AM

I would lean toward an insulated box smoker. The temperature is easy to control and hold for quite a long time. I can only vouch for Spicewine because I have owned one, but others like Backwoods and Stumps work well also. These smokers will allow you a good night sleep while holding temperature extremely well.

redneck cooker 06-03-2011 08:07 AM

:becky:I sure hope you aint serious/ Those look like a high school shop kids built them!:crazy:....I sure wouldn't pull one much less to a comp.....

Alexa RnQ 06-03-2011 09:38 AM

You know I have to come in here to recommend WSMs. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Seriously, the issue is going to be how well YOU cook, on any given unit. As a new competitor pick something tried and true that will work with you, and hopefully not present quirks that are more like stumbling blocks.

CarolinaQue 06-03-2011 10:18 AM

So much for "it's not the cooker, but the cook" that produces good 'que then???

I agree that I wouldn't buy it and run right to a comp with it. But if it suits your needs and gives you the ability to do what you want to do with it, why not? Granted, you have Stumps, Fast Eddies, Spicewine, Backwoods and any other # of manufacturers out there, but there are people that have placed and taken GC with a wide array of equipment. Bottom line in my opinion, get what works for you and learn that cooker and how to make it do what you want it to do. Like people, looks can be deceiving!!!

kcbswtf 06-03-2011 10:35 AM

those pits look nice...what is the cost? I like the flat grill (the green one with green bay packers colors) packers rule

Bbqin fool 06-03-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaQue (Post 1663047)

I agree that I wouldn't buy it and run right to a comp with it. But if it suits your needs and gives you the ability to do what you want to do with it, why not? Granted, you have Stumps, Fast Eddies, Spicewine, Backwoods and any other # of manufacturers out there, but there are people that have placed and taken GC with a wide array of equipment. Bottom line in my opinion, get what works for you and learn that cooker and how to make it do what you want it to do. Like people, looks can be deceiving!!!

My plans are to get it by fall this year and learn as much about it as I can and hopefully be to a point where I can compete hopefully by late spring. I understand why everyone is recommending what they are recommending, I just am not someone who likes to do what everyone else does. I've tried contracting lang and didn't get very good customer service but this guy answered everything I threw at him and is allowing me to make payments. Just wanted opinions. Thanks to everyone.

AZScott 06-03-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaQue (Post 1663047)

Nope. It's still the cook. The cooker one chooses either allows a cook to get some sleep and perform better during turn ins or it makes them stay up all night so they are tired and not at 100% of their ability.

AZScott 06-03-2011 11:14 AM

It sounds like your mind is made up. Have you ever seen someone cooking on one? Before you buy it I would see if you could spend some time with them asking questions. Spending $300 or $10,000 on a smoker without know how it will perform could be a very expensive lesson.

Bbqin fool 06-03-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZScott (Post 1663116)
It sounds like your mind is made up. Have you ever seen someone cooking on one? Before you buy it I would see if you could spend some time with them asking questions. Spending $300 or $10,000 on a smoker without know how it will perform could be a very expensive lesson.

That's my plan. Hoping to do that soon

RangerJ 06-03-2011 11:27 AM

Whatever your happy cooking on and works for you is the right cooker.

However, you asked for opinions and I for one would not purchase the product I see on that website. I can do a craigslist search and find rigs that "look" much better than those. Yes, looks can be deceiving.

My guess is getting off the Brinkman, you will be extremely happy! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Bbqin fool 06-03-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJ (Post 1663139)
Whatever your happy cooking on and works for you is the right cooker.

However, you asked for opinions and I for one would not purchase the product I see on that website. I can do a craigslist search and find rigs that "look" much better than those. Yes, looks can be deceiving.

My guess is getting off the Brinkman, you will be extremely happy! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

You're absolutely right. I did ask for opinions. Thank you for being honest. I have pretty much made up my mind. I have a list of people who have purchased his smokers that I an going to call for references. Thanks again for everybody's input. And yes I think I'm going to be very happy to be off the brinkmann lol

AZScott 06-03-2011 12:03 PM

Don't go call them, go watch them cook. That will show you how easy it is to maintain the temperature, how much fuel it will use, what the temperature differences are on the grates, and if it's really what you want. Anyone will tell you their cooker is great, unless it totally sucks, but watching someone cook and seeing what issues arise is much more valuable.

Muzzlebrake 06-03-2011 12:41 PM

those are definately some interesting looking cookers.........I kind of like the rat look myself. I would have to see how well they cook in person before I bought one for sure.

Hopefully we get them enough hits on their site they cut a brother a good deal :icon_shy: