The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flat vs Whole Brisket? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44579)

smokinvic 06-17-2008 10:24 AM

Flat vs Whole Brisket?

The flat is considerably smaller than the whole brisket, right? If this in fact is the case, what would the difference be in cook time? I have cooked a whole brisket for over 10 hrs. Will a flat be cooked in half that time?

GridironGriller 06-17-2008 10:26 AM

Mine will generally take somewhere between 1.5 hrs/lb and 1.75 hrs/lb. Obviously there are lots of variables to this and you can't cook a brisket by time, but it's a decent guide. The flat is still the same size whether the point is attached or not, so cooking time shouldn't decrease that much.

Rookie'48 06-17-2008 04:22 PM

You're still going to need 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. Be careful if you're buying a "trimmed brisket flat" because most of the time they trim off damn near all of the fat, leaving a very tough, lean chunk of beef. That makes for a tough, dry chunk of cooked beef.
Don't ask how I know this :icon_blush:.

chad 06-17-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie'48 (Post 665696)
You're still going to need 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. Be careful if you're buying a "trimmed brisket flat" because most of the time they trim off damn near all of the fat, leaving a very tough, lean chunk of beef. That makes for a tough, dry chunk of cooked beef.
Don't ask how I know this :icon_blush:.

:mrgreen: If you happen to get a very well trimmed flat -- lay a layer of bacon over the top and cook away. Funny thing, though, when I used to do this the bacon never made it into the house! :shock:

sampson 06-17-2008 05:40 PM

Bacon, brisket and smoke... MMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

smokinvic 06-17-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad (Post 665723)
:mrgreen: If you happen to get a very well trimmed flat -- lay a layer of bacon over the top and cook away. Funny thing, though, when I used to do this the bacon never made it into the house! :shock:

It's like I tell my wife.... Bacon makes everything taste better.....:grin:

Bigdog 06-17-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad (Post 665723)

I think that this might be a cool way to cook pig candy.:idea: What do you think?