• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

slicing brisket and ribs(knife)

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i got a dexter slicing knife for brisket and rib slicing in comps. it was about fourteen inches long and had the rounded tip with channels in the blade. the balde was also very wide so it tracked nicely through the meat. the problem was the edge disintegrated after the first use leaving little chips in the blade. anyone know of a real quality knife with these characteristics?

thanks,
phil

Look at the Forschner knives. I'm surprised a Dexter would do that.

I'm thinking of one of these for slicing that sort of thing:

8209.jpg

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=8209

The edge is very durable, sharpened only on one side, at slightly less than 16 degrees (the reverse side is not only not sharpened, it's slightly concave). This is one scary sharp knife! But it supposedly only cuts by pulling it across the meat. It won't cut pushing it.

Look at the Forschner knives. I'm surprised a Dexter would do that.

Ditto on Forschner - their 14" is amazing. I agree on the Dexter and he should send it back. No way the knife blade should chip ever unless somebody starts hacking on bones.

Slicing knife with granton edge, Forschner is usually my go to brand. Happy with everything I've got of theirs with the exception of their cleaver.

Temporary HiJack MOD: We should get paid ad fees by these companies. I looked into the Shun's Elite last night and this year actually talked my wife into using those as my gifts from our kids for the majors - father's day, bday, Christmas.

She of course gets to follow the camera lens list......

On Topic MOD: I'd head to a bed bath & beyond, linen and things, or a sur la table and try them out to see if you find one. You could also go to a BBQ joint or a chop house(Ruth Chris, Peter Luger's for NYC, or any of the nicer places) if you know someone and ask them what they use. They might be using a cheaper brand but that would be a case to try(literally) before you decide thing.

Henkel pro series for us with a santoku edge for now....

2847.jpg

I just got this one from my sister for Christmas.
h31121260.jpg

10" Granton Slicer

Dollar for dollar, you can't beat a food service industry knife. Go to Sysco (or whoever is in your area) and get a carving knife. It will have a polypropylene handle, be sharp as H*ll , and be inexpensive.

Meat cutters and resturant cooks don't use Wusthof, Hencle, or forschner. They use no name industry knives that work and sharpen easy.

I just got this one from my sister for Christmas.
h31121260.jpg

10" Granton Slicer

Excellent knife. I have a stamped Wusthof version of the same knife. Its actually one of my most versatile knives. I use it to trim briskets and slice ribs in addition to being a big meat slicer.

Mokan turned me on to the Forchner Granton Edge slicer too. You can get the 10" for roughly $35 and the 12" for $42, if I recall. If you want a link, just PM me, I hunted down pricing on these from several knife sites, as well as a local dealer in Atchison, KS. That knife rocks, and leaves none of the rough edges on meat that an electric knife will. Smooth, picture perfect slices. And no disintegrating edge!!

brisket rib slicing

We tend to use a chefs knife on fribs, for when you get into the bone or cartalige and a slicer on the brisket. We like the forschner brand.
Eric

Back