The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chitlin update... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175532)

Smok'n n Joke'n 11-18-2013 01:03 PM

Chitlin update...

NEVER AGAIN.... not my cup of tea..

sliding_billy 11-18-2013 01:05 PM

At least you were man enough to try! :shock:

BobBrisket 11-18-2013 01:13 PM

At least ya tried em!

Well, they don't call em chit'lins for nothing. How were they prepared? That's the key when it comes to eating em. Around here they make em either "soft" or "crunchy." I'm not a big fan of the soft version, but the crunchy ones are awesome. Cleaning em really good makes a difference too. At least you can cross them off your list, even if it is permanently! :-D

The ones that are just boiled..........those are not really good. I'm not a fan of those either. The key is to let them release all of the moisture and then they cook/fry in their own fat. Once the fat has rendered off, they become golden brown (no pun intended!) and crunchy. That's how they taste best for me.

Bob

Smok'n n Joke'n 11-18-2013 01:16 PM

They were boiled....:puke:

Fwismoker 11-18-2013 01:20 PM

Haven't tried them but i'm still open to it...probably go with the crunch version?

Don't they boil them just to clean the poo out?

PatAttack 11-18-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smok'n n Joke'n (Post 2697914)
They were boiled....:puke:

That's not a very good way to have them for the first time!

Give the fried ones a shot...you may like them.???

BBQDaddio 11-18-2013 01:35 PM

Boiled for the first time is a no bueno.

Definelty fried to a golden brown would be the best

Smok'n n Joke'n 11-18-2013 01:44 PM

Yep...gonna have to try them fried next time. Man up

Big George's BBQ 11-18-2013 01:49 PM

Tried boiled ones once Came out of my mouth like a bad oyster I was told they were not prepared right May be willing to try again if done right- not boiled

Amigatec 11-18-2013 01:54 PM

I clean them really good, and strip all the stuff out of them, wash them at least twice. Boil them with a little vinegar in the water. Serve with hot sauce.

tpope 11-18-2013 03:09 PM

Fried in hot oil till crispy. No other way unless it contains sausage.

deguerre 11-18-2013 03:21 PM

Let me guess. You've never been to anyone's house while they were cooking them, have you? Clue number ONE! The smell...

Amigatec 11-18-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2698100)
Let me guess. You've never been to anyone's house while they were cooking them, have you? Clue number ONE! The smell...

Cook them outside.

Goyo626 11-18-2013 08:57 PM

I concur with most of the brethren here. Simply boiled, they are not appetizing, boiled then pan fried in oil or lard. Salty, savory, and irony. Add lime and hot sauce. Very good.

jeffjenkins1 11-18-2013 10:09 PM

OK, I have had chitlins one time growing up. I was asked to cook them 3 times in the last 20 years. I had a woman that has been cleaning them for years clean them. Called by BIL from South Carolina and is my go to guy for soul food. He said boil them with onions, black pepper, salt and a peeled white potato... the potato will take up any off flavor so throw it out when you are done.

The house did not stink and I actually ate half a portion but everybody else loved them. Cleaning them is key and the potato works.

Jeff