• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Church Fundraiser question

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Okay brethren. Our church fundraiser is coming up and we're at a stand still because we are split on what meat would be better to serve, pulled pork or chicken quarters.

My vote is do pulled pork sammies and we've got someone else pushing for chicken quarters because they are cheaper. My stance is chicken quarters may be somewhat cheaper ($$$) but I think the pulled pork sammies will sell more. Because we're advertising "BBQ Plates" and a lot of people in our area think of pork or beef when you say "BBQ". Not chicken quarters cooked on a grill.

Thoughts and opinions?

Pulled pork offers a higher margin on sales, reduced costs and stores better. This is really not a brain challenge. I do understand that chicken quarters allows more people to eat the food, as some folks don't like pork.

Still, for the price, you can offer a more satisfying meal, with a higher margin of return, with pulled pork sandwiches.

Pulled pork offers a higher margin on sales, reduced costs and stores better. This is really not a brain challenge. I do understand that chicken quarters allows more people to eat the food, as some folks don't like pork.

Still, for the price, you can offer a more satisfying meal, with a higher margin of return, with pulled pork sandwiches.

Thanks landarc and to be honest there are a lot of ladies in our church who do not eat chicken from the bone. My wife and several who are in our Sunday School class to mention a few.

Thanks landarc and to be honest there are a lot of ladies in our church who do not eat chicken from the bone. My wife and several who are in our Sunday School class to mention a few.

They don't eat Chicken From The Bone!?!?!?! THOSE HEATHENS!!! :mrgreen:

Having done both for fund raisers, there are pros and cons for both, of course. We usually ended up doing pulled pork, as that was very popular in IL and our fire department did a chicken dinner a couple of times per year. Is there a favorite in your area? How well known is pulled pork? I grew up not to terribly far from you in the Ark-La-Tex and never heard of pulled pork,but that was many moons ago.

All things being equal wrt popularity, I'd lean towards pork for the ease of holding, if nothing else. Also, if there are leftovers, pulled pork can be sold by the bag and frozen well, too.

One last thought, how are prices for chicken and pork there? Is either a clear winner on price? I'm guessing you've already thought of that, but thought I'd mention it, because sometimes the obvious escapes us.

If you really want pork, tell them if you choose chicken over pork, the Muslims and/or Jews win. I kid, I kid.

God bless the planning and the event. May there be a spirit of cooperation and unity, as well as a successful raising of funds.

I have run into the 'no bones' thing. First time was in fine dining, where not even a tiny fish or chicken bone could escape removal. I understand that many people find the boine to be too much of a reminder that it is an animal, or just plain rude to be serving.

To me, that means pork is the choice.

Brookshires is donating the meat so we're getting the pork butts donated. Shreveport is a melting pot of people from all over. So a lot of people in our area know what pulled pork is and love it. We've decided to go with pulled pork for all the reasons mentioned on here. I'll let y'all know how we do. Our fundraiser is June 8th. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics and post on the forum.

Is there anyplace in the U.S.A. that pulled pork is not known and loved?

Chicken is the Baptist national bird, but i would vote on pull pork, be a lot more work with chicken

Hey Brethren, just found out today we'll be planning for 200-220 people. We're doing pulled pork. I was thinking 11-12 eight to nine lb butts should be enough. How accurate is this?

The numbers you are providing will probably run something like this.

12 - 8.5# butts = 102# raw
102# raw will yield approx 51# after loss in cook of 50%
51# = 816 oz
816 oz / 4 oz portions = 204 servings

This should give you an idea of where you stand. Personally I would bump up a bit. Especially if it is Self-Serve.

The numbers you are providing will probably run something like this.

12 - 8.5# butts = 102# raw
102# raw will yield approx 51# after loss in cook of 50%
51# = 816 oz
816 oz / 4 oz portions = 204 servings

This should give you an idea of where you stand. Personally I would bump up a bit. Especially if it is Self-Serve.

Thank you for the feed back. It is not self serve. They will come through a cafeteria style serving line with workers fixing their plates then giving it to them to carry out.

If your budget can take the hit, up it with a couple more butts. Or more accurately, start with 120 pounds of raw product. I never count butts, I count pounds.

Okay, this has turned into quite a mess. Now the head person in charge wants to do BOTH chicken quarters AND PP sammies to feed 200 people. She wants to buy chicken quarters for 100 and enough PP for 100. Is this a good idea?

I am sorry, but, that post made me giggle. I know that is wrong. But, I have been here for just about every single event I have volunteered for over the past two years.

People ask an expert to cook for them, then come up with the dangdest ideas cause they think it is easy.

No, it likely won't work. If people could be relied upon to want one thing only, and to split down the middle, the equitable idea would work every time. What often happens, is that someone will want both, more will want one over the other, people you think will want one, will want the other.

When you have two meats, you have to have enough to serve everyone some of each. Now, that might mean 3 ounce sandwiches instead of 4 ounce sandwiches, or some folks will just want a thigh and pulled pork, or some such thing. And sure as shooting, if you have quarters, some kids are only going to want drumsticks.

Here is what I think.

1. Enough pork for 200 three ounce servings
2. Enough quarters to serve 150, split after cooking into thighs and drumsticks
3. Portion control the servings

Back